PDA

View Full Version : Does *any* DOS IRC- Server exist?

TNC
October 16th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi there,

I`m searching the web for countless hours for a IRC- Server for DOS. Nothing. Does anybody know of one?

I know that Mike Chambers wrote a Client, is it possible that he might write a Server? :D

For myself I have no programming experience.

greets.

PhotoJim
October 26th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I'm not aware of any but if the machine is a 386 or better, running a Linux distribution on it is completely viable, and there are several IRC server packages for the various distributions of Linux. I ran an IRC server on a 25 MHz 486sx for quite some time and it worked very well.

TNC
October 28th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Well, the Problem is, that the Server has only 2 MB RAM, no way to upgrade. I think it will swap the swap process. :D

A possibly another Server is a 286 1 MB RAM booksize PC. The main reason for the IRC Server is to give them a new useful life. :-)

Mike Chambers
November 25th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Hi there,

I`m searching the web for countless hours for a IRC- Server for DOS. Nothing. Does anybody know of one?

I know that Mike Chambers wrote a Client, is it possible that he might write a Server? :D

greets.

i started writing a DOS IRC server a few months back, never finished it though. it was basically functioning: users could log in and create/chat in rooms.

i'll look for the disk i put it on, and you can try it out but i'm warning you it's pretty buggy lol :?

it only handles 10 users at once, because TCPDRV protocol stack for DOS sucks.

atari2600a
November 25th, 2007, 09:54 PM
Oh yeah I remember that server! I asked why /list & /whois wasn't working, & there was a few second lag time!

Mike Chambers
November 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Oh yeah I remember that server! I asked why /list & /whois wasn't working, & there was a few second lag time!

the lag time is because it was running on an 8088.

mbbrutman
November 26th, 2007, 01:09 PM

So what in particular sucks about it? Does it have a limit of 10 sockets, or was there a different problem?

atari2600a
November 27th, 2007, 11:39 AM
the lag time is because it was running on an 8088.

Yes, that w/ the combined fact that it was a qB app. :p (sorry...)

TNC
December 6th, 2007, 01:23 PM
i started writing a DOS IRC server a few months back, never finished it though. it was basically functioning: users could log in and create/chat in rooms.

i'll look for the disk i put it on, and you can try it out but i'm warning you it's pretty buggy lol :?

I think 10 Users and create rooms will suffice for me. Can you upload it to your page? :D

TNC
December 20th, 2007, 11:39 AM
*push* I want that server :D

Mike Chambers
June 17th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Hi there,

greets.

hey TNC, i didn't forget about this thread. the past few days i've been working on a DOS IRC server. it's not completely finished. it's lacking a few things, but it's coming along nicely.

it's still missing stuff like a PING feature to check for dead connections, and then i am going to start hard coding the usual IRC services (nick/chan/oper maybe even memoserv)

you can try it as is if you download this ZIP: http://www.rubbermallet.org/DOSIRCD-TEST001.ZIP

unfortunately the TCPDRV/NTCPDRV programs don't seem to allow more than 8 concurrent connections. i am trying to figure out some way to get around this, but it doesn't look too promising at this point.

i sent off an e-mail to the author a little while ago, asking him if there is anything i can do to allow more connections. i'm not expecting any help, but i might as well ask.

======== EDIT/UPDATE ========
doing a google search for "dos irc server" pulls this thread up as the first result, so i might as well update this for anybody who was trying to find a program to do this. that DOSIRCD upload is ancient and it always locks up after a while because of bugs in TCPDRV.

if you're looking for something reliable (who isn't?) you'll want to use my newer DOS IRC server, RockIRCd. it uses the PC/TCP stack rather than TCPDRV. it's quite stable, i've ran it for several weeks at a time without any issues. it's pretty fast too, lag time is less than a second on an XT-class system.

download it from the link below, and i would LOVE to hear how it works for you if anybody uses it! full source code is included. :)

http://rubbermallet.org/software/download/rockircd-1.0.0-testing.zip