PDA

View Full Version : kaypro 10

collector
April 14th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I have 8 kaypro 10's in my small garage. None of them boot to the hard drive. All seem to boot and read from drive A (5 1/4) but the hard drives are all but dead. Some spin but are not recognized. I tried to format the drive but to no avail. Any suggestions? Can I get any type of MFM drive to replace these or do I need the same type of drive? Would like to get 1 or 2 working and then I will give the others away.

sandy

Terry Yager
April 15th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Yes, the Kaypro 10 uses a standard-type MFM hard drive, which is simple to replace. The ROM will only recognize a drive with 305 cylinders, and 4 heads, so any drive with those specs (or multiples of them) should work. If you use another, larger-capacity drive, it will still only format out to 10Mb, unless your 10 has a special replacement ROM, like the Advent Turbo-ROM. A very common drive which is known to work with the 10's HDD controller is the Seagate ST-225, which is a 20MB, but will still only use 10Mb of it in the 10. The Seagate has 612 cylinders and 4 heads, so the geometry works out ok, just uses only half of the cylinders on the drive. Good luck, hope ya get some of them together. If ya need formatting/partitioning software, lemme know, I have what ya need, courtesy of Don Maslin. I cn email the reload disk set to ya (14 disk images, CP/M v. 2.2G).

--T

collector
July 15th, 2004, 08:21 AM
Terry:

I have 2 seagate st 225 drives that work but my k10 willl not recognize them. Do I need the formatting software from Don M. to get them to work? Help!!

Sandy

Terry Yager
July 15th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Terry:

I have 2 seagate st 225 drives that work but my k10 willl not recognize them. Do I need the formatting software from Don M. to get them to work? Help!!

Sandy

Yes, you need to get the System Reload Set from Don M. and after you boot from the floppy, the partitioning and formatting programs run from a SUBMIT file, then the same SUBMIT file re-loads all the original software back onto the HDD. (I'ts a 14-disk set, IIRC). Read the !README file for instructions on how to run the SUBMIT file. You'll also need a copy of TeleDisk and a real DSDD disk drive to recreate the disk set from the images Don sends you. A HD 5.25" drive just don't work for writing DD disks. If you don't have the means to create the diskset, lemme know. I can prolly write out the disks & snailmail 'em to ya.

--T