PDA

View Full Version : more powerbook problems

linemanduke
November 1st, 2007, 02:29 PM
i finally got a new power adapter today, but soon as i put it on i noticed there was no picture on the screen. no little apple no nothing its like the contrast is turned off just a black screen i had noticed before that i was constantly adjusting the contrast. theres the occasional flash but beyond that nothing any ideas.

maybe i should appease the apple gods by making an ibm sacrifice.

Anonymous Freak
November 1st, 2007, 03:20 PM
So what model of PowerBook is it? Try shining a flashlight at the screen to see if you can see ANYTHING going on. It's possible that the backlight went out, in which case, it's drawing to the screen, but you just can't see it due to lack of backlight. (Contrast and backlight are two different things. On older black and white PowerBooks, you could only adjust contrast. On color PowerBooks, you could adjust both contrast and brightness.)

You want contrast about in the middle to start with. With the flashlight, look at the upper left of the screen for the arrow (it defaults to the upper left when you turn it on.) Then move the contrast knob/slider back and forth to see if anything changes. (Or press the contrast buttons, if you've got one with buttons instead of a slider or knob.)

If you can see the arrow, move the trackball (or slide your finger on the trackpad, depending on the model,) and see if the arrow moves.

If you can see the arrow, and it moves, then you've likely got a bad backlight.

If you can't see the arrow, no matter what, then you might have a bad screen, screen connection cable, power supply, or a host of other problems.

chuckcmagee
November 1st, 2007, 03:23 PM
Hmm, betting on a open connection myself, maybe around the "pot" for the contrast. I have a Osborne doing that and in my case, one of the leads on a output transistor needs a new solder job. If I tap the case vigorously, I get the flash you talk about. It's really the picture trying to come back but the transistor connection doesn't stay long enough.

linemanduke
November 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM
its a model 140 forgot to metion backlights on amd working

linemanduke
November 1st, 2007, 03:35 PM
also big problem is i cant find a screwdriver to get the boards out i have every torx it seems than the one i need

linemanduke
November 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
it has decieded to cooperate after a good wack to the back of the screen

chuckcmagee
November 1st, 2007, 06:39 PM
Yep, loose connection. Your wacks work longer than mine do.

linemanduke
November 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
still working all i need now is a decent word processor thats free

NathanAllan
November 1st, 2007, 11:47 PM
still working all i need now is a decent word processor thats free

Have you tried over at lowendmac.com? They have a lot of links for stuff over there. Could find something. I'll keep a lookout for MSOffice for Mac, or something like it.

Nathan

linemanduke
November 2nd, 2007, 01:17 PM
thanks went and looked nothing that i could find but i will keep looking