PDA

View Full Version : Kaypro 10 Drive Format

marmotking
November 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM
I recently acquired a Kaypro 10 that's in really good shape. It boots off the hard drive (which appears to become A: ). There also appears to be a B: (as shown by the "survey" command). I ran a read test of the disk using "check" and it seems to have 4 heads, 17 sectors, 306 cylinders. I can do a directory of drive B: , but I can't copy a file to it. When I try it says, "INVALID FORMAT". Should I try reformatting drive B: ? I can't seem to figure out how to do that...

Yzzerdd
November 2nd, 2007, 09:00 PM
Hmm...It seems to me that both drives have a different format. (I am not going to use actual CP/M format names, as I have no clue about them, but will use DOS terms) It is like trying to copy a 360K disk to a 1.44MB disk with the DOS DISKCOPY command. It just doesn't work. But be sure to keep up with the thread, one of our CP/M gurus will be around soon. I think you should reformat the floppy drive.

Oh, and notice that when you type a colon and then a parenthesis or question mark, you get a face. Just put a space imbetween a colon and another letter AT ALL TIMES. We all figure out what you are trying to say, but it took me awhile. Just click the "edit" button to change that.

--Ryan

Terry Yager
November 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
I'm no guru, but...

The LL formatting software for the K-10 automatically partitions the 10Mb hard drive into 2x 5Mb partitions. CP/M assigns drive letters at boot time, starting from the boot drive, which is always designated A:, whether booting from hdd or floppy. When booting from hdd, the first partition becomes A:, the second partition is B:, and the floppy is C:. If booted from floppy, the floppy drive is assigned A:, the first partition is B: and the second partition is C:. If your Kaypro is factory stock, this should work, but if it's been modded in some way (hardware and/or software), things may be a little different. From your drive parameters, it sounds like the stock drive, but if it's unable to see the B: partition, you'll need to d/l a copy of the reload set from Dave Dunfield's site (http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/img36925/system.htm) and LL format then re-install the software. If there's anything you want to keep, be sure and save it to floppies first. Check all 15 user areas for interesting stuff. The CP/M command is USER 1, USER 2, etc.

--T

Terry Yager
November 3rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Oh yeah, when you d/l the K10G reload set from Dave's site, be sure to read the !READ.ME file, which has instructions for re-doing the drive.

--T

Sharkonwheels
November 8th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Highly recommended to drop a TurboROM in that puppy, too. Allows using more/different drives, support for more disk formats, more reliable disk-logging, etc... the list of improvements is loooong.

You can download a copy of the EPROM to burn with a programmer from many places on the net.

T