PDA

View Full Version : Two different Kaypro II's

marmotking
November 13th, 2007, 03:31 AM
First, thanks for all the help you have given me here...

Now I have three Kaypro II's, two of them with serial numbers in the 20,000+ range and one with a serial number in the 3,000 range. The one with the serial number in the 3,000 range has vertically mounted full height drives and the brightness knob on the front. The 20,000+ range has horizontally mounted full height drives and the brightness on the back. So there's clearly a design change. The strange thing is, with the 3,000 range I get "snow" (for lack of a better word) and flickering on the screen during scrolling of the screen. The other two with higher serial numbers don't have this effect. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the snowy one or if there was a change in the video circuitry between the two? I know this is a really obscure question.

BTW, I noticed a few other design changes too. Notably the low serial number unit uses the FD1791 (double density, inverted bus) where the higher numbered units use the FD1793 (double density, true bus). Just an observation.

Terry Yager
November 13th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Wow, that is an extremely early K-II. And yes, there was a minor design change, involving what you've already mentioned - the orientation of the drives. The vertical mounting was the cause of the video interference, and the reason the design was changed to horizontal, to cut down on the RFI to the video section (or so I've read...I'll try and track down the link).

--T

marmotking
November 13th, 2007, 10:22 AM
That'd be great if you could find that link.

Druid6900
November 13th, 2007, 12:42 PM
If there is room, you could laminate a tinfoil sheet in plastic and place it between the drives and the video section, punch a hole through it and ground it to earth ground. That should shield both sections from each other.

Terry Yager
November 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
That'd be great if you could find that link.

No joy, sorry. There used to be a really good page on the early Kaypros, comparing the subtle differences, with lotsa lovely pix, etc, but I can't find it now. I should have it bookmarked, but that musta been prior to my most recent hdd crash (which has been about a year, so I'm just about due for another one). I did find a pretty kewl case mod page tho:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/kp/kaypro.html

--T

marmotking
November 13th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well, thanks for looking! I actually just returned from picking up a "pile" of Kaypro machines. At some point I'm going to be building my own "yet another joker and his vintage computer site" type of web site. I'll put detailed photos of each of the various machines as I repair them and the story of what was wrong with each. I think I have 17 of them in my basement now. Luckily they stack well. Um. Although most of them don't work right now. It looks like one of them is "over-clocked", with a switch for CPU speed on the front. Very nice...an over-clocked Kaypro.

Sharkonwheels
November 14th, 2007, 01:08 PM
heh - I got a few more, if you're stil in need. :D

I have some superb condition 1's 2's and 16's (8088).
Now, if you end up with an unfixable 10, I'm searching out another set of the HD subsystem to ramp up a K4-84, until I can figure out what to do with the GIDE setup.

I have about 11-16 machines at present, and looking to downsize the lot ;)

Tony

marmotking
November 14th, 2007, 06:31 PM
I have four 10's in the pile. I repaired one of them. There were strange characters on the screen intermixed with legitimate characters. I replaced the 6545 and bingo! The problem was solved. I tried fiddling with the bad 6545 on another machine and it was definitely fried (not just badly socketed or something).

http://download.marmotking.com/IMG_9888_a.jpg

Sharkonwheels
November 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Pile of kaypro's, and in WA. Wouldn't have gotten them from a guy named Larry, would ya?

Wow - Kaypro really WAS a parts-bin scavenging company!!!

That is the *FOURTH* different floppy-type I've seen in a K10, unless someone replaced it out!

The service manual mentions I think 1, or 2 types!

Nice system - I have 2 that are REALLY nice (a K10/83 and a K10/84) , and a third that is just OK (K10/83).

I have an original set of 2.2G restore media, original app manuals, and 2 different Kaypro 10 User guides: 1 for '83s, 1 for '84s. Got a nice 4-84, also, which happened to have the Kaypro-88 setup inside, though it was NOT labelled as a -88 on the outside.

Man - I love CP/M kaypros. I really do... gotta be later, though. I;m not much for the II, IV, even 2 and 2x. I do have a 2 and 2x, though, but, I dunno...

Tony

EDIT: By the way, I ran into someone else a couple months back, who needed 6545's, and there's a few folks on eBay who have listed them.
This outfit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LSI-SY6545-1-CRT-Cont-Synertek-Vintage_W0QQitemZ320176225876QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50 914QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Has 2 listings, if ya need 'em.
I don;t know them, and have never dealt with them, so i can;t vouch for them.
Just saying they have (2) listed right now.

T

Sharkonwheels
November 14th, 2007, 07:09 PM
No joy, sorry. There used to be a really good page on the early Kaypros, comparing the subtle differences, with lotsa lovely pix, etc, but I can't find it now. I should have it bookmarked, but that musta been prior to my most recent hdd crash (which has been about a year, so I'm just about due for another one). I did find a pretty kewl case mod page tho:

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/bchafy/kp/kaypro.html

--T

FINALLY!

A good use for a Kaypro II

<ducking>

Tony

Terry Yager
November 14th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Hey, it beats turning it into an aquarium!

--T

Sharkonwheels
November 14th, 2007, 07:28 PM
Hey, it beats turning it into an aquarium!

--T

Now *THAT* is a PERFECTLY GOOD use for a compact mac!!!

:rolleyes:

Still - I thought that modded Kaypro II looked pretty cool!

I'd love to see him do that to an Osborne 1, and keep the tiny screen!!
Now *THAT* I would be impressed with!

T