PDA

View Full Version : Shipping a computer as packed luggage???

Hope
May 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Hi there . . . bringing my old blueberry Imac down to my mother in Florida on 5/7 . .. have the original box with Styrofoam inserts . . . but am nervous . . . does anyone out there have an opinion as to whether its safer to ship it another way??? Its a cute computer and I would hate to hurt it, plus I really want my mom to have a computer . . .I know, it's not too vintage . .. I also have a mac performa I think 6300, if anyone is interested in taking it off my hands!!

thank you . . . Hope
[/i]

Erik
May 2nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
You should be fine packing it as checked luggage, especially with the original packaging.

Most companies test their packages to make sure they protect the contents from pretty big drops. Unless the airlines do something really silly, you're pretty sure to get the machine there in one piece.

Besides, if not you can make them pay for it (at least in part.)

Most shipping companies like FedEx, UPS and the post office will be handling the box a lot more which makes for more opportunities to break it.

As for the Performa, you'll probably get a taker if you can post a bit more info such as the condition, what's included (docs, software, display, etc.) and where you are located.

Good luck!

Erik

Hope
May 2nd, 2004, 01:51 PM
Thanks so much! I will also check with the airline . . .and when I return from my trip I will post more on the Performa . . .thanks a bunch . . .

Hope

barryp
May 2nd, 2004, 08:08 PM
I hauled a TI-99/4A with PEB twice that way (quite heavy too) with no problems other than a strained back, but that was in 1987.

Postal Patron
August 29th, 2004, 04:49 PM
It is cheaper on a flight if you are already going there. I even have brought a CPU on the plane, in view of its safety and it fits nicely under the seat. So I prefer to move computers on flights since I might of as well take full advantage of it and I can personally supervise much of it movement.

carlsson
August 30th, 2004, 02:42 AM
Last time I flew (with Ryanair), the restrictions on hand baggage were 50x35x23 cm (20x14x9 inch) and maximum 10 kg - I believe those will be stored in the locker above the seat though. The space under the seat was much less, so not even a small bag was really allowed.

Postal Patron
August 30th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Wow, I've never flown on some of the European no frill airlines (like Ryanair) but I've heard about their space restrictions. ALso advertising on seats and barf bags. In the US, they're more restrictive on space (got to have a certain amount). I guess also since Americans are getting so big in size...

carlsson
August 31st, 2004, 09:36 AM
Hm, not sure I understood that message. You mean that US passengers require a certain amount of space that the airline has to guarantee, and that is significantly larger than the measures I posted from the no-frills company?

Actually, Ryan lowered the limit on checked-in baggage from 20 to 15 kg this summer (although officially it has been 15 kg all the time) and raised the limit on hand baggage from 7 to 10 kg. They have also mentioned that in the future, passengers completely without checked baggage will get cheaper tickets, or that you actually have to pay for every single piece of luggage you check in. Some Dutch low-cost airline, Basiq Air, already offers best price for passengers without baggage and also that if you book and pay online, it is enough to check in 15 minutes before the airplane leaves compared to 40-45 minutes in the normal case.

Another cost-saving idea is to cut the baggage personal, so your checked baggage would go through security control, sealed and then you transfer it yourself to the airplane where the "driver" helps you load it into the airplane, much like a long fare bus.

Postal Patron
September 4th, 2004, 10:25 AM
Yes, I think there are some restrictions (or minimum standards) on the amount of room allowed for US carriers. Ryanair and other carriers sure cut the corners in terms of room and service personnel, which is fine, because it gets you a cheaper ticket.

Probably some emergency exit regulations also.

But so far on Southwest, I've been able to take a CPU and stick it under the seat. I've only run into too heavy (70 pounds for two check ins) once. So it depends.