PDA

View Full Version : Amiga 4000T

Kaptain Skitzo
November 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Well, I'm back(will update situation in another post....)

Earlier this year, I came into what I thought was a "decent" deal... an Amiga 4000T with "some extras", for $300. The "some extras" turned out to be 14 BOXES full of CDs, Floppy disks, MIDI hardware, Commodore 64/128 hardware(including a 128 hard-drive rigged(not a Xetec, but the newer CMD ones) system. You might ask yourself.....did it work? Oh yeah.....it FLIES.

The 4000T itself, is L-O-A-D-E-D!!!! Every drive bay has a drive in it(2 cd-rom drives, internal 5.25" floppy, 3.5" floppy, and a pair of HDs), plus there is a SCSI III card hooked to an external drive bay with 2 HDs in it. I took the cover off, to see what kind of accellerator card is in it....but there are too many wires and other stuff in the way, I didn't want to strip it down...WAY too much work. It's got 128MB of RAM, 10/100 network card(yeah, it's internet ready), and has Workbench 3.9 installed. It doesn't have a Video Toaster in it....but then again, there's no room for one if I could get my hands on one.

The only thing that could be considered "wrong" with it, is the clasp on the front door is broke, and it's been velro'd back together.

I couldn't see what kind of card or processor it's running, which was the main reason for popping the cover off. All I could see was that the card is a Rev. 3.

Sharkonwheels
November 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
If the CPU card is just a card with a proc, and no RAM slots, it may be the standard C= A3640, which is an 040/25. If you could find a CPU card with RAM slots ON the cpu card, it would improve the performance tremendously, as with the A3640, the RAM has to be accessed s-l-o-w-l-y on the mainboard.

CPU cards for the 3000/4000 tend to not be so cheap, though.

Nice find - I acquired a huge batch like that a few years go when someone posted onUseNet that their father died. for $450, I got:

4000T (Amiga Technologies version) fully loaded with toaster4000+flyer, plus many other cards inside including one of those 060+PPC cpu boards inside

3 x A1200's - ALL had accelerators - one had an 060/50+128MB RAM+SCSI
2 x A2000's - both had 040's - one a 25Mhz, one a 33 (GVP both)
2 x A3000's - both had 040's as well
Boxes and boxes of software, manuals, doo-dads (music rippers, genlocks, etc..)
1 x Toshiba TIMM TV, which was a NICE 27" (I think) TV+amiga compatible monitor.

When all was said and done, ebaying the stuff, I think I cleared $5000-6000
on the $450 purchase.

It was a Godsend, as that was Post-9/11, when I got laid off from Royal Caribbean, and was in financial dire straits.
That money helped me survive, until I could find another job, at least that paid enough to actually MEET the incoming bills!!

Nice find, though.
make sure you stay on top of the NiCD battery on the motherboard, and yank that puppy off, whether it's already bad or not. Those are NOTORIOUS for leaking acid and ruining motherboards. Have it removed, and use an external NiCD pack wired in, so you can have the batteries away from the motherboard.

Tony

Kaptain Skitzo
November 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
The RAM in on a board that sits off of the motherboard. There are RAM slots on the MB, but nothing is in them. The slots on that card fully populate the thing. I took some pics, but most of them didn't turn out. I may pop the case again tomorrow, just to see if I can get better pics. I really don't want to start pulling cards, as all of the slots are filled(and cables are running everywhere!). I was floored when I saw how much stuff came with it, though. As for the battery, yeah, I will probably do something with that, although the NiCad batteries are better than the blue ones in the older systems....I lost my 3000 to damage before I could move that battery. Is that battery socketted? Or do I need to pull out the soldering iron?

Sharkonwheels
November 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I think for all stock C= stuff (ie, not add-in clocks like A1200 trap-door clocks) they were all sodlered on - A2000, A3000, pretty sure A4000D/T also were. I know A4000D's were soldered, though.

T