PDA

View Full Version : Rebel bike (way off topic)

Terry Yager
November 26th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Okay, so we've already beaten the whole 'chick car' thing to death, but I'm having a bit of a dilemma in a different, albeit related area. Here's the thing:

I have already decided that I will have to have a motorcycle in time for next riding season, else I'll never survive the fuel prices, and prob'ly end up on the street, homeless & destitute.

I'm kinda physically limited in terms of how much bike I can handle (bad knees, back, etc).

I am seriously looking at a Honda Rebel 450 that is in my price range and ability to ride.

The only people I've ever known to own a Rebel were female, so the question is, is that p'ticular bike generally considered too 'girly' for a red-blooded, macho he-man like myself? (I mean, I like it and all, and it looks pretty kewl to me, but...).

--T

Yzzerdd
November 26th, 2007, 02:12 PM
What year? The common pics I found online was an '86, and one claimed to be an '08. Both look manly enough to me, but if you're aging and have problems with your back, this might be a more practical solution, and you sure wouldn't be homeless!

--Ryan

puting it in text didn't work, so, just copy the link. http://www.floridadude.com/MotorcycleCamper.jpg

JDT
November 26th, 2007, 02:25 PM
I had a 93 Katana 600.

http://www.jdthiele.com/personal/bike.jpg

that pic was taken with a crappy digicam that didnt capture the colors correctly, it had dark blue-purple stripes that transitioned to almost neon lime green, light purple-blueish wheels. Quite honestly one of the most homo looking bikes I can imagine, BUT I just had to have a bike to ride with my friends on the weekends and the price was right, kept it for 4 years and sold it for what I paid. I needed cash last year so i sold it =/ Good little bike only ~450 lbs & @ 60+ miles a gallon I didnt really care what it looked like, and 600cc was enough oompf for me, took it to 150 mph once and only once just to see if it could. Eventually I will get another bike, but a cruiser style, I hated riding on my forearms.

So uh.. long pointless story condensed: If ya like it, get it.

mbbrutman
November 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Try something a little smaller ... The Honda Ruckus!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/28/Zoomer.jpg

Seriously, if you are in that bad of physical shape, then I don't think you should be on anything like a motorcycle or a scooter. One tip over at a traffic stop and somebody will have to pick the bike off of you and fix some broken bones.

Terry Yager
November 26th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I forgot to ask the year, but I'm pretty sure it's in the '89, '90 range. I'm not sure if a picture tells the whole story tho. Ya really need to compare it to something, like a human body, etc, in order to get a real feel for it's actual size & conformation. I'm 5' 10", with kinda short legs (30" inseam), but I can mount this bike and stand with both feet flat on the ground, and clear the saddle by a good 6 - 8", so it rides pretty low. I've had bigger bikes before, but I was much younger and in better shape then. Nowadays, I'm kinda scared of anything that I'd only be able to support with one leg at a time, as neither knee by itself would be sufficient, especially with a larger, heavier bike.
As for the camper, it looks good, but I already have a small motor home with the rear bumper extended out about three feet, so I'd be able to transport the scoot around pretty well, and not have to carry the L/Q around when I go puttin'...

--T

Terry Yager
November 26th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Seriously, if you are in that bad of physical shape, then I don't think you should be on anything like a motorcycle or a scooter. One tip over at a traffic stop and somebody will have to pick the bike off of you and fix some broken bones.

A scooter would work for saving fuel costs, but there's the kewl factor to consider as well. I have a certain image to maintain, y'know (yeah, right). I mean, a scooter is like, one step away from a power wheelchair, right?
I'm not even considering a crotch rocket, not because they look qweer, but as being too uncomfortable for me to ride. The possibility of dropping it at a light is prob'ly my biggest fear, so a smaller, lightweight bike is about the only option, without going too small, to the point of being too underpowered to keep me interested for long. I'm just not sure about the Rebel, because when I attempt to describe it, adjectives like 'petite' and 'cute' come to mind. I'm just wondering if it has this effect on others as well.

--T

SwedaGuy
November 26th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I drove one of those Honda Sprees back in the day...anybody remember those? Rode it back and forth to work and to choir practice--and spent somewhere around a buck and a half a week on gas.

That said, I agree with the "If you like it, buy it" crowd...

chuckcmagee
November 27th, 2007, 03:50 AM
I have a very nice power wheel chair that I need to sell! Low miles, one OLD LADY owner, only used on shopping trips.

ziloo
November 27th, 2007, 04:40 AM
An oldtimer once told me that one of the early british motorcycles that
he saw in his younger years had a writing on it: The ride of death!
He meant that the manufacturing company had placed that warning sign
on the thing!! True or not, it shows that riding motorcycles is a very
dangerous chore.

My advise to you is to bite the bullet and stick to good ol' carsinos...

ziloo

Terry Yager
November 27th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Well, I have an appointment with the orthopedic surgeon on the third, so I'll know more then. If I need another reconstruction, I'll be off my feet for at least six months to a year, so the plan will be called off anyways.

--T

Micom 2000
November 28th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Terry you've almost destroyed my faith in you as a person who defied all conventions about what other people might think. As a groundbreaker, an original, conventions be damned.

When your on your feet again how about one of those snarling, noisy ATVs if you can afford one. Even young kids up here drive them, and you can roar around those aging pussies in their electric wheel-chairs with the little flags on antennaes.

As the outrageous Irish rebel poet Dylan Thomas wrote:

Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, rage against the dying of the light

http://www.bigeye.com/donotgo.htm

L.