PDA

View Full Version : C64 article at CNN (didn't see this discussed here)

NathanAllan
December 10th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Has anyone seen this?

http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/12/07/c64/index.html

It was passed along at atariage, and it's more computer-y than game-y.

Nathan

Anonymous Freak
December 10th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, strangely considering I've been into computers since the early '80s, I have never owned or even used for a significant period of time, a working Commodore product.

I went straight from Apple II to PC, then to Mac, then back to PC, and finally back to Mac. I owned a non-functional VIC-20 for about a year, planning on trying to fix it, (this was when it was already vintage,) but never did, and traded it away.

When I was a kid, one friend had a VIC-20, and in high school, another had a Commodore 64, but at most, I played a couple games on each. Then after high school, a friend had an Amiga, but again, I rarely used it. I went straight to PC. (Or, more technically, a PC clone, a Leading Edge Model 'D' 8088.)

carlsson
December 11th, 2007, 11:20 AM
I've been into (Commodore) computers since 1984, but I didn't get a PC compatible until I scored a free Pentium 200MMX in 1999. ;-)

The exact date is subject to be argued though. The C64 supposedly was launched in stores in August 1982, but maybe they didn't take off big time (delivery problems?) until the Christmas sales in December.

barythrin
December 11th, 2007, 12:40 PM
"Twenty-five years ago computers were an individual experience; today they are just a commodity, he said."

I really like that quote. It sums up collecting and why so many folks would be so closely attached to their first computer experience quite neatly.

- John

tezza
December 11th, 2007, 03:27 PM
"Twenty-five years ago computers were an individual experience; today they are just a commodity, he said."

I really like that quote. It sums up collecting and why so many folks would be so closely attached to their first computer experience quite neatly.

- John

I agree. In those days the term "Personal Computer" actually meant just what it said.

Kaptain Skitzo
December 13th, 2007, 05:08 PM
AF- I can rectify that, if you'd like.

I've been using C= computers for ages now. I remember some years back, making a joke about my first computer being old enough to vote, and being smarter than to vote who the guy in office. :p I still have my first one, and it still works(although I have replaced the fuse and SID chip). I really enjoy seeing articles like this, because so many youngsters these days never heard of the C=64, nor are they aware of it's impact on the computer market. It's fun to talk about it.

Micom 2000
December 13th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Great article. Well-written. Thanks Nathan for the reference.

Lawrence

GanjaTron
December 14th, 2007, 01:09 AM
I agree. In those days the term "Personal Computer" actually meant just what it said.

Didn't Apple have the motto "Apple ][ -- The Personal Computer", underlined for emphasis? I can't think of anything more boring these days than a run of the mill PeeCee on the average joe's desktop, running some "OS" by a two-bit outfit originally based in Albuquerque called Micro-Suck (yes, with hyphen)...

--Roland

Dwo Shwoom
December 14th, 2007, 11:42 AM
I picked my c64 at a church sale. and never took it out and used it till this year, in fact. I always used a pc compatible with win 311 when I was young, then 95, 98, and todays xp.