PDA

View Full Version : Paradise EGA card setup

dongfeng
December 17th, 2007, 02:33 AM
I've recently managed to acquire a couple of Paradise EGA cards:

The first seems to be a Paradise Autoswitch EGA 350 (http://th99.dyndns.org/v/P-R/52483.htm), the second a Paradise AutoSwitch EGA 480 (http://th99.dyndns.org/v/P-R/52480.htm). They look very similar, but with minor differences in jumpers.

I would just like to run through and confirm the switch settings in case I destroy anything :) Also, I only have my XT with IBM 5153 (CGA) monitor to hand right now.

On the 480 card, it seems I can turn all of the switches to ON and it should autodetect what monitor is connected? Otherwise I guess I would have to set it to 80-column to use with the 5153.

After Christmas I'll get access to my 5154 (which may or may not be working as I have never had an EGA card to test it with), but which settings? Autoswitch? Or 200/350 column?

Thanks in advance :)

modem7
December 19th, 2007, 01:46 AM
Re the 840. Mono and CGA monitors normally have pin 2 of the video connector grounded. So with the 840 being a CGA/EGA card, I bet that when it's set to auto, it's looking at pin 2 to determine whether a CGA or EGA monitor is attached. Auto mode sounds good. For auto mode, my reading of the documentation that you've pointed to is that only the fifth switch needs to be on (other switches become "don't care").

dongfeng
December 27th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Thanks, Modem7!

For some reason I couldn't get the Autoswitch setting to work with any monitors (5151, 5153 and 5154). However, set the switches manually and all works as expected! I'll investigate further in a couple of days :)

saproj
January 7th, 2008, 09:59 PM
I wonder how Paradise AutoSwitch feature works at all. Do monitors give any feedback? Anybody knows?

I own a Paradise PEGA1A-based card.

Terry Yager
January 7th, 2008, 10:16 PM
I imagine the software app takes control of the video board and tells it what resolution and color depth to use. The monitor doesn't need to communicate anything back to the board. (I could be full of sh!t too).

--T

saproj
January 7th, 2008, 10:33 PM
Re the 840. Mono and CGA monitors normally have pin 2 of the video connector grounded. So with the 840 being a CGA/EGA card, I bet that when it's set to auto, it's looking at pin 2 to determine whether a CGA or EGA monitor is attached.

But how does it detect a MultiSync monitor?

dongfeng
January 7th, 2008, 11:41 PM
I wonder how Paradise AutoSwitch feature works at all. Do monitors give any feedback? Anybody knows?

I own a Paradise PEGA1A-based card.

I think Modem7 explained how it detects the monitor.

While experimenting, I did notice that you cannot 'hot-swap' monitors over - i.e., you can't boot up with a 5153 (CGA) and then swap it for a 5151 (Mono) - you have to turn off and reboot.

It worked perfectly with the 5153 and 5151. Haven't yet had a chance to try out the 5154 (EGA) on Autoswitch yet!

saproj
January 9th, 2008, 08:09 AM
I think Modem7 explained how it detects the monitor.

Yes, he did. But I would like to know about detecting a multisync monitor. (On which EGA 480 can work in 640x480.)

dongfeng
January 9th, 2008, 08:27 AM
Okay, gotcha :) Unfortunately I don't have an Autosync to test it with.

Terry Yager
January 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
The EGA card does not 'detect' the monitor per se. All of the pins in the on-board connector are outputs. The card only 'knows' to set the resolution in the way that the user (program) tells it to. The EGA card outputs the color signals on different pins, according to how it's set up. The 'AutoSwitch' only selects between TTL monochrome and CGA/EGA, probably in the manner described above (both mono & CGA have pin #2 grounded). With a (modern) multi-sync monitor, the monitor (automatically) 'detects' the type of signal it's receiving and sets itself accordingly (older multi-syncs had to be setup by hand via switches, etc).

--T

Terry Yager
January 9th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Pin # | Description | Direction
========================================
CGA: |
---------------------------------------------------
1 | Gd |
2 | Gd |
3 | Red | Out
4 | Blue | Out
5 | Green | Out