PDA

View Full Version : trying to get local vintage comp. users to meet up

vic user
May 17th, 2004, 08:55 AM
I have started posting around some local sites in Ottawa, trying to see if anyone is interested in getting together once in a while.

A few people have replied.

Has anyone attmepted to do this sort of thing before, and could you give me any advice?

At present, I am trying to get a place for us to meet online and then go from there.

I guess some options for meeting in person are:

1) meet at my house
- good points:
is that it would be cheap, don't have too book the venue, and i would not have to move any equipment.

- bad points:
I am very reclusive, and the thought or strangers roaming around my house freaks me out, i have pets so not everyone may be happy with that, space is not condusive to having a group of people over with tons of computer stuff

2) wait for some kind of computer or computer related event, and book a table

3) book a place like a church basement or whatever

4) try and find a related group (maybe there is a classic computer group that meets in ottawa?) and see if we can share resources.

i just want to get some kind of momentum going, rather than just watching this fizzle away.

chris

Erik
May 17th, 2004, 09:00 AM
There was a group of CC Geeks in San Jose that met once a month at one of the members business offices. I think they stopped meeting due to scheduling conflicts, but the idea was still sound.

Instead of your house you could just pick a pizza parlor or something like it for a meeting venue until you get the group established.

There are lots of options for online meetings from IRC to setting up mail lists or message boards (if you'd like a local club board set up here, public or private, please let me know.)

Good luck!

Erik

vic user
May 17th, 2004, 09:24 AM
There are lots of options for online meetings from IRC to setting up mail lists or message boards (if you'd like a local club board set up here, public or private, please let me know.)

Good luck!

Erik

wow thanks Erik!

Chris

Terry Yager
May 17th, 2004, 01:28 PM
Try your local school. They have plenty of space, and will usually allow the use of it, after hours, of course, especially if your group is in some way education-related. Doesn't hurt to ask the principal.

--T

CP/M User
May 17th, 2004, 01:38 PM
What sort of meeting does it need to be, okay I know it's vintage
computer based, but do computers need to be present? (unless
your computer doesn't like being left behind, I'd suggest bringing
it with you). Have the meeting in a public place. If computers are
invited, then a place with a power source would be ideal.

Cheers,
CP/M User.

vic user
May 18th, 2004, 04:51 AM
I like the school idea, and I am on good terms with the one my daughter goes to :)

Maybe even a library would be a good choice.

I guess at first we don't need to have computers present, but the main aim is to share info, hardware / software, etc..

I woudn't mind a BYOVC event, at first, and hope there are different kinds.

Chris

barryp
May 18th, 2004, 05:45 PM
Maybe even a library would be a good choice.

Our local <defunct now> Texas Instruments TI-99/4A users group used to meet in public libraries. It was free and there are several in the area so we could move around to accommodate as many members as possible.

It was a "pilgrimage" to load up systems here, drive to the meeting site, set up systems, dismantle systems, haul stuff home again, restore system to operating condition, wait two weeks, etc.

vic user
May 25th, 2004, 04:33 AM
barryp wrote:

It was a "pilgrimage" to load up systems here, drive to the meeting site, set up systems, dismantle systems, haul stuff home again, restore system to operating condition, wait two weeks, etc.

Yep, that is one thing that i would not be enjoying, and that is trying to get stuff from one place to the next. Too bad I didn't use the timex sinclair ')

chris

Terry Yager
May 25th, 2004, 07:07 AM
I'm glad that most of my favorite vintage systems are portable.

--T