PDA

View Full Version : Disk Images from PC to Apple IIe

Great Hierophant
December 31st, 2007, 08:02 AM
Is there a way to transfer disk images from an IBM PC Compatible to an Apple IIe? I would love to play the games as they were meant to and have an Apple IIe ready, but I do not know how to transfer the disk images from the PC to the Apple. Is there a way?

kb2syd
December 31st, 2007, 08:24 AM
Google is your friend. Look for ADT.

http://adt.berlios.de/ is a start.
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/ is another.

You do need a serial card for the IIe. Then you transfer a bootstrap code and start creating.

Yzzerdd
December 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM
I have ProDOS 1.1.1. If you want, I can make a copy. I'm sure we can arrange something.

--Ryan

Great Hierophant
December 31st, 2007, 10:29 AM
Excellent, as it happens I do have a Super Serial Card in my Apple IIe Platinum, so I can start the process. All I need is to be shown the way and buy some disks. Through the cassette port, I can manage I think without ProDOS. But where is a good place to buy 5.25 inch floppy disks and would preformatted IBM disks be OK (assuming the software will reformat them to Apple's format)?

david__schmidt
December 31st, 2007, 11:48 AM
Excellent, as it happens I do have a Super Serial Card in my Apple IIe Platinum, so I can start the process. All I need is to be shown the way
As kb2syd said, go to http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrap.html and read through the scenarios. You can bootstrap from bare metal (i.e. no disks) through either serial or audio connections. Audio is fussier, but slightly faster. It kind of depends on how much of an adventure you want to make out of it.

and buy some disks.
Search eBay. (http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&satitle=dd+diskettes&category0=)

would preformatted IBM disks be OK (assuming the software will reformat them to Apple's format)?
Yes. But be careful not to buy HD (High Density) disks; be sure they're DD (Double Density). 1-sided or 2-sided doesn't matter. Whether or not they're formatted doesn't matter either.

Great Hierophant
January 7th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I have tried it and it seems to work perfectly. It took a bit of tweaking to get the audio transfer working correctly, but its solid now. I designated my audio input to be a mic and switched off the gain, and set the audio output to 50%. That seems to work.

I'm surprised about the serial being slower, since it supports up to 112,500 baud, so can the audio connection be faster than that? It takes approximately 10 minutes to format and copy a disk, so its no speed demon. My Apple IIe is no longer useless and well worth the $0.01 I paid for it (that does not include shipping.)

david__schmidt
January 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I have tried it and it seems to work perfectly. It took a bit of tweaking to get the audio transfer working correctly, but its solid now. I designated my audio input to be a mic and switched off the gain, and set the audio output to 50%. That seems to work.
That matches my experience too. No gain, 50% volume seems to do the trick.

I'm surprised about the serial being slower, since it supports up to 112,500 baud, so can the audio connection be faster than that? It takes approximately 10 minutes to format and copy a disk, so its no speed demon. My Apple IIe is no longer useless and well worth the $0.01 I paid for it (that does not include shipping.)
Ah, to clarify: bootstrapping over audio is slightly faster than serial (a one-time task, hopefully). Once you have the full ADTPro disk transferred to the Apple, though, serial is much faster to do subsequent transfers. And Ethernet is another 33-ish% faster than that. :-)

tezza
February 7th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Having set aside the BBC (b) for now, tonight I turned to my recently acquired and now fully working Apple IIe with a view to getting some software for the beast.

ADTPRO is certainly a great piece of software. In no time at all, I had everything sussed, plugged in, and was transferring disk images over the super serial COM port and onto floppies. Fantastic. Watching the "matrix-like" memory dump of the ADTPRO client into my software-less Apple IIe across the RS-232 was like watching fresh blood pouring into a near-dead patient. A computer needs software! It now has a small collection.

One problem I had was that ADTPRO didn't seem to be able to format disks, despite having a menu option to do so. It kept complaining that the disk was faulty or the drive door wasn't shut. Prodos had no problem formatting disks however, so it wasn't really an issue.

david__schmidt
February 7th, 2008, 03:23 AM
One problem I had was that ADTPRO didn't seem to be able to format disks, despite having a menu option to do so. It kept complaining that the disk was faulty or the drive door wasn't shut.
The formatting routine is definitely finicky - it's timing sensitive, and it matters where I place it in memory (some parts can't cross a page boundary). I couldn't get the Ethernet version to format disks last night, for example, but the serial version would. Gotta look into that...

tezza
February 7th, 2008, 11:01 AM
David,

Despite the formatting problems ADTPRO is a highly useful piece of software for vintage enthusaists. The instructions are clear, and everything else bar the formatting worked first time without a glitch.

Thanks to you and others for writing this piece of code and making it available.

andyt31
March 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM
My //c is now up and running (Photo here (http://andys.dyn-o-saur.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=108))

I made a 9 pin serial to 5 pin DIN last night, and hooked the //c up to my PC running Vista. ADT Pro worked 1st time. Its great, and reasonably quick. I have used it on my ][e before with its Super Serial card.

Do you think there would be a market for these cables on eBay?

david__schmidt
March 16th, 2008, 05:01 AM
My //c is now up and running (Photo here (http://andys.dyn-o-saur.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=108))

I made a 9 pin serial to 5 pin DIN last night, and hooked the //c up to my PC running Vista. ADT Pro worked 1st time.
Excellent - that was the goal. :-)

Do you think there would be a market for these cables on eBay?
I sell them there from time to time, as well as on a dedicated web site. The market isn't huge. ;-)