PDA

View Full Version : Apple II - is it dead?

Vifa
January 1st, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hey

My Apple II is allmost 25 years by now, and it has not been running for a long time. I am mostly familiar with IBM computers, so I hope someone can help me with this Apple!

As far as I can recall, it asked for a password during the startup back in the days. But today nothing seems to happen when I start it. I have one of the original green monitors, and all it shows is a green screen when I try to start it.

How can I fix the Apple?
- How can I isolate the problem?
- What to do?
- And where to start?

Vifa

Geo3
January 1st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi,
Most Apple II programs never needed a Password. Need a bit more info. What program are you trying to run? Is from a HD or a floppy? Do you have any one around you that has good disks? Does the drive lights up, come up and spin? What has happened over time is the edge connector of the cards in the slots become oxidized. POWER OFF, Cord PULLED from wall. Now touch the power supply and pull the card. Remember which slot you pulled it from. Now to clean the edge of it. An clean pencil eraser, toothpaste, then clean with Isoproplo Alcohol. No rensert it several times. Now power Computer to see if it boots. Reseating the chips on all the cards and the mother board not a bad Idea at this time.

Take Care

willowmoon93
January 1st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Hi,
Most Apple II programs never needed a Password. Need a bit more info.

Agreed. At this point, I'm wondering if maybe the brightness level on the monitor is set way up too high or too low where no text appears to be visible. Is there a clicking sound inside the computer? Is there any visual indication that the computer is indeed powered up, via a light in the lower hand corner like in the Apple IIe. But yes, more details would definitely be needed for any of us to help diagnose the problem. Also what model Apple II is it (II, II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs)??

Vifa
January 2nd, 2008, 05:05 AM
...from a HD or a floppy?

I don't have a harddisk, but I have instead two floppy drives.

Do you have any one around you that has good disks?

No, but I have around 40 disk - and it would be crazy if the all were bad.

Does the drive lights up, come up and spin?

They don't light up, and they don't spin at all.

What has happened over time is the edge connector of the cards in the slots become oxidized.

I am not sure, but it doens't look like they have.

Is there a clicking sound inside the computer?

No

Is there any visual indication that the computer is indeed powered up, via a light in the lower hand corner like in the Apple IIe.

No, it doens't light up:(!

Also what model Apple II is it (II, II+, IIe, IIc, IIgs)??

Apple II

willowmoon93
January 2nd, 2008, 05:59 AM
Sounds like in all probability a bad internal power supply or a fried motherboard. But before we assume the worst, please try these out.

1) Is the the cord running from the computer itself plugged into the same outlet strip as the monitor? If not, make sure that it is.
2) If so, is it possible you have a bad cord? Try that cord with other compatible items to see if other items power up with it.

Good luck Vifa -- that's cool that you have an original Apple II -- I hope it is a simple and inexpensive fix.

Vifa
January 2nd, 2008, 08:49 AM
Try to look at this picture:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/apple2int.jpg

Can you see the little box on the right side of the cabinet? I have a cord running from there to the monitor. The monitor is an 'Apple Monitor III' which has one input called 'Video In'.

...is it possible you have a bad cord?

I am not sure. I don't have anything else to test it with.

But the strangest thing is that the little 'button' in the lower left corner doens't light up when I turn it on!

willowmoon93
January 2nd, 2008, 10:16 AM
This may sound weird but do you have a main power cord going from behind the case directly left next to the on/off switch -- it goes into a three prong receptacle. I didn't see that cord in the scan, it's a totally separate one from the one connecting the computer to the monitor. Didn't know if you previously had that one connected and didn't include in the scan or what. Because the computer's power cord is a totally separate one from the Monitor III's power cord, they operate independently of each other. Please let me know as I'd love to have you get that Apple II revived! :)

david__schmidt
January 2nd, 2008, 10:32 AM
Can you see the little box on the right side of the cabinet? I have a cord running from there to the monitor. The monitor is an 'Apple Monitor III' which has one input called 'Video In'.
You mean the Sup-R-Mod? You don't want to attach your Monitor III to that! That is for sending a signal to a broadcast television set. You want to connect the Monitor III's Video In to the Apple's Video Out RCA jack - on the very back of the machine.

I've never seen a power light burn out, but I suppose it's possible. But if you don't hear a 'beep' when you turn the machine on, then we're back to power supply issues, most likely - followed by loose or failed components (not uncommon with II and II+ machines). If you do hear a beep, but no power light, then the lack of picture could be because you plugged the monitor into the Sup-R-Mod.

Vifa
January 2nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
This may sound weird but do you have a main power cord going from behind the case directly left next to the on/off switch

Do you mean the power cable? If so, I use one power cable from behind the cabinet (right next to the on/off switch) to the socket - and one power cable from the monitor to the socket.

...it goes into a three prong receptacle.

Yes exactly. It goes into the power supply in the left side, which also can be seen on the picture above.

You mean the Sup-R-Mod?

Yes

You want to connect the Monitor III's Video In to the Apple's Video Out RCA jack - on the very back of the machine.

Can I use the same cable/cable type? I will prefer to use another because it seems to be very difficult to seperate it from the 'Sup-R-Mod'.

But if you don't hear a 'beep' when you turn the machine on, then we're back to power supply issues, most likely - followed by loose or failed components (not uncommon with II and II+ machines).

What kind of beep should I be expecting? - I am almost possitive that the machine make a 'sound' when I plug in the power cable - but I don't get a 'sound' when switching it on.

Geo3
January 2nd, 2008, 12:47 PM
You want to video cable that plugs into the monitor, to plug into the RCA plug on the IIe's motherboard not the SupRMod which goes to a TV on UFH 33 with an TV adapter switch.

Now you want the computer power cable to plug into the power supply (3 prong) to a power strip or outlet. Next to the on?off switch. Now it should make a little beep, power light and maybe an LED on the mother board. Maybe the LEDs are only one a IIe board. Power light can be burned out but I have never seen it.

Type

PR#6

That should boot the drive.

Oxidation on cards is something you can not see. I was given a RamFast card that was said dead. Did not work when I pluged it in apple IIgs for HD. Cleaned the edges and reseated all the socketed chips by pushing down on them and it worked with no problems.

But yours seems to be pointing towards the power supply. Bad cap, or rocker on/off switch.

If you deem that the power supply is bad. I have some Apple IIe gold like power supplies looks like they would be the same the same. I will check them out to make sure they work if you are interested.
Alot of people use a power strip to save any where and tear on the rocker on/off switches. They would leave it on (on the computer and turn everything off with the power strip. I have seen a few of these fail. The small rocker contacts burn away.

Take care

Vifa
January 5th, 2008, 03:56 AM
Type

PR#6

That should boot the drive.

It didt'n work!:(
I am affraid the power supply is dead:sad:

If you deem that the power supply is bad. I have some Apple IIe gold like power supplies looks like they would be the same the same. I will check them out to make sure they work if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer! - but first of all, I will try to find a person around here (Herning, Denmark) to look at it; maybe he will be able to fix it. I think it will be easier that way when I presume you are living in USA?!

I will keep you in mind in the future!;)

But thanks to all who have helped me so far!

Vifa

willowmoon93
January 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Good luck Vifa -- hope your friend can get your Apple II running for you -- yes I myself live in the USA. I'm guessing the power supply requirements are quite possibly different in Denmark but maybe Geo3 might know something about that (?)

Vifa
January 6th, 2008, 03:39 AM
I'm guessing the power supply requirements are quite possibly different in Denmark

Yes indeed. Actually, I think it is different in the whole Europe than in the USA.