PDA

View Full Version : faulty IIe keyswitch

tezza
January 3rd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hi,

One of my Apple IIe keys doesn't work. Unfortunately it's the "1" key which tends to be fairly important. There is no response at all no matter how much pressure is applied.

Before I pull the keyboard out to take a look, has any one experienced this before and fixed it? Does it just need a clean, or is something else likely to be wrong?

Druid6900
January 3rd, 2008, 09:00 AM
If reflowing the solder around the connections to the key doesn't fix it, and it's the only key that doesn't work...well, what's the NZ word for "screwed"?

tezza
January 3rd, 2008, 09:15 AM
If reflowing the solder around the connections to the key doesn't fix it, and it's the only key that doesn't work...well, what's the NZ word for "screwed"?

Lol! The same other word everyone else uses.

These little problems I keep finding with my collection (the faulty RS424 in my BBC springs to mind) are damm annoying but I guess this is par for the course with 25 year old technology.

Some people say fixing is half the fun of it! I am not one of these people though. :)

Geo3
January 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM
Hi,
This might work. Remove the key cap. Use dry compress air and blow the area clean. Now with the stem just exposed. With a set of small needle nose plyers. Work the stem up and down. You do not need to force it down hard. But you do need to have a little more force pulling it up. This has to be done around 40-50 times. The upstroke is the KEY, it might break the contacts loose so they work. If this does not bring it back then you do not have too many options.
A few people have taken them apart. Trying to remember what it all looked liked. Small contacts and membrane like layers.
There are two types of switches. Long throw and short throw. That is about all I can remember.

Take Care

carlsson
January 3rd, 2008, 10:07 AM
Is the Apple IIe keyswitch similar to the design used on the Acorn BBC Master 128? See this excellent web site; in the left frame Rich has a detailed article how to fix a bad BBC keyswitch. Perhaps it can be of use?

http://www.classicacorn.freeuk.com/

tezza
January 3rd, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hi,
This might work. Remove the key cap. Use dry compress air and blow the area clean. Now with the stem just exposed. With a set of small needle nose plyers. Work the stem up and down. You do not need to force it down hard. But you do need to have a little more force pulling it up. This has to be done around 40-50 times. The upstroke is the KEY, it might break the contacts loose so they work. If this does not bring it back then you do not have too many options.
A few people have taken them apart. Trying to remember what it all looked liked. Small contacts and membrane like layers.
There are two types of switches. Long throw and short throw. That is about all I can remember.

Take Care

Wow, this worked!!! Such a simple procedure, and one I would have never thought of!

I now have a fully working Apple IIe and I'm very happy!

Thanks a bunch! :D

Adrian Cummings
March 23rd, 2013, 04:18 AM
Restoring a dead Apple ][ from parts and have to say this procedure (above) helped me too - great! :)

kingchops
August 24th, 2013, 02:43 AM
Lol! The same other word everyone else uses.

These little problems I keep finding with my collection (the faulty RS424 in my BBC springs to mind) are damm annoying but I guess this is par for the course with 25 year old technology.

Some people say fixing is half the fun of it! I am not one of these people though. :)

Just tried this to fix the "M" key on my Apple IIe, it worked! Pure gold. All keys now work. In the past I've had to de-solder keys on my old Macs to get them working again, but I wish I had tried this first.

rittwage
November 21st, 2016, 07:37 AM
Can you describe this procedure? What does it mean to "work it up and down and use force pulling it up?". Do you mean pull up on it past where it stops?