View Full Version : Mystery IIe switch

January 3rd, 2008, 01:09 PM
Having this Apple IIe on the bench at the moment, I've noticed something else that puzzles me.

It's a rocker switch located on the case on the right just underneath the keyboard (where the bottom of the case slopes up). It's connected to the main board, and the connector is labelled J19 with the word "switch" beside it.

Anyone know what it does?

January 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
Re the mystery switch above, I've upload an image of an Apple IIe (enhanced) motherboard, so folks can see just where it is.

This image (sourced from a website) is the same as my motherboard. I've indicated where the switch connections are with a large white arrow. Like mine, this board also has a switch connected.

I've looked through the Apple IIe technical manual and unless its buried somewhere in the text, I can't find any reference to it??

September 5th, 2008, 11:42 AM
In exploring these old Apples, I've finally discovered what this mystery switch actually does!

It toggles between a US keyboard layout and a European one! I guess this switch is only on non-US models, yes?


September 5th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I guess this switch is only on non-US models, yes?
Yes. I don't have any machines with that switch.

September 5th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Tez, I was reading about your J19 switch and decided to have a look at my Apple IIe. Compared to the picture you provided, my board is laid out quite a bit different than the one you've shown. (I'm not an Apple 'follower') - so this may just be because of board revisions or whatnot. Anyway, my U.S. Apple IIe doesn't have a J19 only a J18 farther on down the board, which is just the speaker connection.