PDA

View Full Version : Apple IIgs ROM revisions

Unknown_K
January 5th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I have had a IIgs ROM1 machine for a while and recently snagged a mint freecycle ROM3 machine. I was wondering which one I should keep (ROM 1 or 3) for gaming? I heard that some games had issues with ROM3 machine (is there a list)?

The current machine has an Apple SCSI card and a 1MB RAM card, the 03 is stock, but I can swap cards around as needed.

Also I left the ROM 3 run a while and the PS fuse popped, didn't see anyting wrong on the motherboard or the PS internally, could it just be a fluke?

magnusfalkirk
January 5th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I have had a IIgs ROM1 machine for a while and recently snagged a mint freecycle ROM3 machine. I was wondering which one I should keep (ROM 1 or 3) for gaming? I heard that some games had issues with ROM3 machine (is there a list)?

The current machine has an Apple SCSI card and a 1MB RAM card, the 03 is stock, but I can swap cards around as needed.

Also I left the ROM 3 run a while and the PS fuse popped, didn't see anyting wrong on the motherboard or the PS internally, could it just be a fluke?

If your gaming will be original Apple II games, and not just Apple IIGS, then either one should be fine. I believe the problem the ROM 3 GS has is with some of the early GS games. I'm not certain if there is a list anywhere but one of the best places to look, that might provide some help is here: http://www.whatisthe2gs.apple2.org.za/

Hope that helps,
Magnus

Rockin' Kat
January 29th, 2008, 11:40 PM
ROM 03 breaks some games. Things which were originally programed in non-US countries such as France are also more likely to have problems as the ROM 03 didn't come to a lot of countries that the 01 did, so they weren't able to test as thourouly on the 03. It also makes use of 8MB RAM expansions a little more complicated.

the ROM 03 does however offer a slightly improved layout which decreases noise. If you hook up headphones or speakers to the headphone output on a IIgs you'll be able to hear drive access on them.... that's noise, it can cause crashes if it's severe enough... but I havn't had any major issues with that since I replaced the internal 63Watt supply on my IIgs with an exteranal 150Watt supply with fatter leads.

Personally I'd stick with a ROM 01.

Bill_Loguidice
January 30th, 2008, 08:08 AM
I know it's not the most helpful of suggestions, but frankly I'd keep both ROM systems. That's what I do. The IIgs is compact enough and can be easily stacked for convenient storage. This way you have 100% compatibility and a second platform for extra upgrades or testing.

Unknown_K
January 30th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I ended up getting a replacement PS so both units work now, might just keep them both.