PDA

View Full Version : This is too weird

Terry Yager
January 14th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Have you ever watched a Chinese made kung-fu movie on the Mexican channel? How do ya say 'All your base are belong to us' in Spanish?

--T

NathanAllan
January 14th, 2008, 08:17 AM
Toda su edificio nos pertenece a

*sooo* broken Spanish!

IBMMuseum
January 14th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Have you ever watched a Chinese made kung-fu movie on the Mexican channel? How do ya say 'All your base are belong to us' in Spanish?

'The' channel, as in just one? Yes, we watch all kinds of movies on Univision and Telemundo. A translation would be: "Todas sus bases nos pertenecen.".

But wasn't that originally Japanese, not Chinese?...

Vlad
January 14th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Yes, the game was Zero Wing and it was indeed in Japanese.

Unknown_K
January 14th, 2008, 10:24 PM
I freaked out when I was young and in Greece seeing Indiana Jones the Temple of Doom dubbed in Greek on the big screen. I think Harrison Ford called the kid small fry in the movie and the translation was odd. Some things don't translate too well, and even if you could find a phrase that means the same thing you need to be able to get it out in the correct timeslice to sync with the actors lips.

Terry Yager
January 15th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Funny but here in Saginaw, a town about half the size of Flint, there are two hispanic stations on Charter, while Flint has none. Anyways, I sometimes like to watch them (with the sound off) just for S&G. I make up my own dialog as I go along, just to amuse myself (yeah, I know I need to get a life). For whatever reason, at 5:00am, watching a buncha Asian folk holla-ing at each other in Mexican (with lips out-of-sych) ROFL-ed me.

--T

SwedaGuy
January 15th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I think Harrison Ford called the kid small fry in the movie and the translation was odd.

"Short Round"...That was the kid's name, "Short Round".

At the beginning of that movie, Willie Scott (Kate Capshaw) performed Cole Porter's "Anything Goes" in Mandarin. I wonder if that was translated for the Greek audience as well?

Unknown_K
January 15th, 2008, 10:36 PM
I don't recall, but I don't think they translated the music/singing unless it had something to do with the plot, was a long time ago to remember.

SwedaGuy
January 16th, 2008, 03:07 PM
Don't feel bad, I didn't understand it at the time, either...

Anonymous Freak
January 16th, 2008, 04:48 PM
My sister watched a German-dubbed version of "Bad Boys" when she was in Germany... She said that African-American humor just didn't translate into German very well. She didn't even get it until she got back to the U.S. and watched it in English. (And she is 100% fluent in German, so it wasn't due to lack of understanding German.)