PDA

View Full Version : subLogic A2-3D1 Animation System

Sharkonwheels
January 15th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Anyone seen or heard of this?
I've been dragging around a copy for at least the past 15 years.

Some kind of assembly language 2D/3D graphics system, apparently it was what they used to make Flight Simulator 1.

I have the entire package: Original binder, command sheets, (3) disks:
A2-3D1 Animation
A2-3D2 Enhancement
A2-GE1 Graphics Editor

original manuals, including the "Load and Go", manuals for all the modules on the 3 disks, even the warranty registration cards for the 3 modules!

Manual looks to be dated in 1979.

Any idea on rarity, worth, etc...?

T

magnusfalkirk
January 16th, 2008, 05:00 AM
Anyone seen or heard of this?
I've been dragging around a copy for at least the past 15 years.

Some kind of assembly language 2D/3D graphics system, apparently it was what they used to make Flight Simulator 1.

I have the entire package: Original binder, command sheets, (3) disks:
A2-3D1 Animation
A2-3D2 Enhancement
A2-GE1 Graphics Editor

original manuals, including the "Load and Go", manuals for all the modules on the 3 disks, even the warranty registration cards for the 3 modules!

Manual looks to be dated in 1979.

Any idea on rarity, worth, etc...?

T

Greetings,

Yeah I remember seeing that package back in the day. Always thought about getting it but never did. As to rarity and value, I haven't got a clue. If you don't want it any more you could always put it up on eBay and see what sort of bids you get for it.

Magnus

Sharkonwheels
January 16th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Never even seen it on eBay.
Actually, I've never even seen it mentioned before.
Googling "A2-3D1" gives 3 pages of results, of which at least half are not the program...

T

Bill_Loguidice
January 16th, 2008, 12:34 PM
Was this definitely a commercial release or was this their in-house development version? Either way, definitely rare and likely valuable, probably at least in the $60 - $125 range or so depending upon what it looks like. Obviously the popular mainstream dev tools of the day were from Penguin and to a lesser degree that Forth-based language from Insoft or IDSI (or whoever that was - I'd have to check my software at home for the right name). I bet this package from SubLogic, if indeed it was released, would have been quite expensive, otherwise it surely would have been more popular than it turned out to be since their dev tools were obviously relatively advanced at the time.

Sharkonwheels
January 16th, 2008, 06:21 PM
No...it was a commercial package they sold.
It is complete, but you can imagine xerox-style paper after 30 years in a 3-ring binder. a little yellowed, but all the manuals are complete, and every scrap that came with it appears to be there.

T

jayessell
February 6th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I used A2-3D1 in the early 1980s!

See the last picture here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8740359@N04/sets/72157602911970794/

See the YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6SxO_EXKDA

See the GoogleVideo here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5527308473610248626#
(00:42) and (02:01)

About the YouTube one:

I was using my Apple ][ and a Super 8 camera to do computer animation for a friend's movie.
I used roughened circles to represent two asteroids of different diameters that had drifted together.
It orbited the Point Of View around the object as moving the object itself would be too difficult.
However...
Due to an error.... not clearing the variables?... resulted in the datapoints of the 'asteroid' being overwritten.
This resulted in a incompletely drawn asteroid with a line at a random angle running off the screen.
However....
Running the film backwards made it look like the image was being knitted then rotated!

Also... the Super 8 camera in stop-motion mode increased effective frame draw speed 180 times!

jsl151@pioneeris.net

Keatah
January 25th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry to open an old thread, but, I have Saturn Navigator which needs the A2-3D1 disk. If that can somehow be made available I can work on removing the copy protection on (SN) and make it available to all.

I already frak'n blew up a copy of the version that does *not* need the A2-3D1 disk - thanks to a faulty write protect switch on a uni-disk. Believe me, that hardware got smashed to hell and shredded out of anger. Never again will it fckup a disk. So close and yet so far. So if anyone happens to have it drop me a line. Of course I could purchase the package too, but, that's not my main goal here.

airnocker
September 19th, 2014, 08:05 PM
I know this thread is old, but I am familiar with this software and used it with my Apple IIe. Still have it.

airnocker