PDA

View Full Version : Ampro LittleBoard...

geneb
February 1st, 2008, 11:00 PM
I've put up documentation for my Ampro LittleBoard on retroarchive.org.

Source code from the system will follow. Neat goodies like BIOS, CBIOS and tool sources.

g.

Sharkonwheels
February 2nd, 2008, 02:55 AM
<sigh>...

...What I wouldn't trade for a LittleBoard Z80+ ....
Or a Micro Mint SB180FX....

T

geneb
February 2nd, 2008, 09:12 AM
Shark, the schematics are in the book and when I get the sources posted, there's nothing keeping you from scratch building one. :)

g.

Sharkonwheels
February 2nd, 2008, 11:08 AM
Shark, the schematics are in the book and when I get the sources posted, there's nothing keeping you from scratch building one. :)

g.

Uh, yeah, the SkillZ :confused7:

T

MikeS
February 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM
Uh, yeah, the SkillZ :confused7:

T
---------
Geez, if he can practically scratch-build a cockpit for an F-15 surely you could put together a li'l old circuit board... ;-)

Sharkonwheels
February 2nd, 2008, 06:06 PM
Sometimes it's just easier...

take, for example, an adapter to use 50-pin 8" drives on a 34-pin PC-style interface. Yeah, there's web pages, schematics, drawings...

I thought it was 10 times easier, to email dbits.com, and just order one for $40 shipped

:shiver::machinegun:

T

geneb
February 4th, 2008, 06:39 AM
Building a computer from scratch is an insanely fun thing to do. I'm in the early stages of teaching myself how and it's been a hell of a good learning experience so far. I don't know that I'll ever get to the "building" part, but I'll have learned a lot more about how computers work a the chip level than I ever did before.

It's actually a lot like programming. Glue logic parts are a lot like the if(...) constructs used in programming.

g.

MikeS
February 4th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Sometimes it's just easier...

take, for example, an adapter to use 50-pin 8" drives on a 34-pin PC-style interface. Yeah, there's web pages, schematics, drawings...

I thought it was 10 times easier, to email dbits.com, and just order one for $40 shipped

:shiver::machinegun:

T

-----------
Well, considering the number of subtle differences among 8" drives and the 34-pin "standard" you may well end up consulting those schematics & drawings anyway...

mike

MikeS
February 4th, 2008, 09:25 AM
Building a computer from scratch is an insanely fun thing to do. I'm in the early stages of teaching myself how and it's been a hell of a good learning experience so far. I don't know that I'll ever get to the "building" part, but I'll have learned a lot more about how computers work a the chip level than I ever did before.

It's actually a lot like programming. Glue logic parts are a lot like the if(...) constructs used in programming.

g.

-------------
Yeah, the paradigm is different but the logic & thought processes are pretty equivalent. You're going the other way, but I don't have much patience with the folks who moan & bitch about "kids today" not knowing how to "build" things. Soldering iron or keyboard depending on your talents, not much difference; it's the learning and creative process that counts and there's no shortage of creative ideas & projects out there, although these days anything complex usually has to involve more software than hardware.

mike

Sharkonwheels
March 1st, 2008, 08:54 PM
-----------
Well, considering the number of subtle differences among 8" drives and the 34-pin "standard" you may well end up consulting those schematics & drawings anyway...

mike

Boy, was THAT a prophecy!!!
:rolleyes:

T