PDA

View Full Version : Where my Jersey boyz at?

ahm
June 12th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Hey, yo... anybody near Scotch Plains?

EvanK
June 21st, 2004, 01:58 PM
I'm (temporarily) on the north side of Edison. Scotch Plains is right down the street!

What do you collect? Let's talk.

- Evan (evan947@yahoo.com)

ahm
September 12th, 2004, 04:44 PM
(whoops, real life interrupted for a couple of months)

I was gonna say that if there were other folks in the area,
I might have a place for us to meet and/or have a small swap meet.

Anyone interested?

animekenji
November 10th, 2005, 10:46 AM
I am in Woodbridge, not far from Scotch Plains at all. I collect lots of old micros and video game systems. Not really interested in parting with any at the moment, but would consider giving a good home to just about anything if it's not too big. (I had an IBM machine as big as a washing machine once, had to get rid of it because it never worked and was taking up too much space.) :-)

ahm
November 19th, 2005, 08:13 PM
Well, things seem to be coming together, although perhaps not in Scotch Plains.
As Bill mentioned in another thread, keep an eye on http://marchclub.org

carlsson
November 20th, 2005, 11:13 AM
I had an IBM machine as big as a washing machine once, had to get rid of it because it never worked and was taking up too much space.
A bit off-topic, but one of my student friends from the computer club had obtained a such IBM beast and stored it in his tiny student apartment. When he was about to move out after the studies, he and his friends found that it was too heavy to carry around, and I'm not sure if it still operated. Therefore, they left it in the hall so noone could identify from which apartment (and tenant) it had come.

The landlord put up angry notes that if not the owner came and took care of his equipment - whatever it was - it would be transported away and get disposed. Of course my friend never pretended to have anything to do with it, since he wanted to get rid of the IBM computer in the first place and was happy to hear the landlord would arrange the transportation.

The Ruminator
December 15th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I just joined this forum and am pretty much new to vintage collecting. I suppose it depends on how one defines "vintage." My oldest PC is nearly a decade old. Seems kinda vintagy. :wink: I donated my 286 PC and have regretted it ever since. I've always loved PCs. Just never thought collecting would be an option for me. But now I'm making room in my house for The Hobby. :wink:

Anyway, I live in NJ, near Princeton -- and also within minutes of Trenton State (aka The College of NJ).

Terry Yager
December 15th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Once the collecting bug bytes you, you'll find that you rapidly run out of room for your hobby, at which point you'll need to make more room, or collect less stuff (or both).

--T (done there, been that)

EvanK
December 15th, 2005, 06:16 PM
Hi, Ruminator.

Always glad to meet another local collector -- I'm up in Union County.

FYI, I run a local club called MARCH -- that's "Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists" -- we're sponsoring the VCF East 3.0 next spring and we're even building a computer museum out in Wall Towship. As stated elsewhere in this thread, check out marchclub.org (our under-construction homepage) and, for where our action is, join us at in the discussion group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/midatlanticretro/ ... or if you (or anyone else reading this in the northeast / mid-atlantic) have any questions, feel free to email me at evan947 (at) yahoo.com.

The Ruminator
December 17th, 2005, 07:21 PM
Thanks for the info, Mobilemaster! I'll definitely check out your discussion group, and I'll definitely want to visit your computer museum. I hope you'll have a few interactive displays, since many of us will have trouble keeping our hands off the stuff. :wink: