PDA

View Full Version : best way to acquire vintage Apple II stuff??

wjl
February 17th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Hi everyone:

I've just discovered this forum. I'm looking for a complete/working Apple IIc and/or Apple IIe (Professional) setups. Where's the best place to look? I roam ebay every once in a while - but I've managed to miss some opportunities there.

Just wondering if there are other options.

Many thanks - and it's great to know there are other enthusiasts out there!

Wayne

tezza
February 17th, 2008, 09:08 AM
There are three strategies I use to get vintage machines.

1. Set up an automatic search on the auction sites so new listings get emailed to you.

2. Tell everyone that you know you are collecting vintage computers. Often people will donate stuff they might have thrown out. You get some junk., but also you get some gems...often for no cost.

3. Keep visiting your local second-hand stores/flea markets. Sometimes machines might come in.

As the Apple IIe is a recognised vintage machine, number 1 is probably your best bet.

wjl
February 17th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Thanks Tezza:

I didn't know that ebay has automatic searches - I looked for it - but couldn't find it. If you can give me some direction ...

Also, what other auction sites should I be looking at? I'm rather new at this.

Thanks again!!

Good advice is always appreciated.

Wayne

barythrin
February 17th, 2008, 06:24 PM
What are you looking for? (When you say "complete"). I have an Apple IIc I could sell you if you're interested. I'll have to go test it and make sure everything is working, but it would be the IIc and a power supply (*I do need to verify that I have more than one power supply).

Let me know, otherwise ebay or craigslist are both good candidates for finding one elsewhere.

- John

Sharkonwheels
February 17th, 2008, 06:58 PM
I would also look up recyclers in the area, or even the IT and/or property surplus departments of local school districts, and see what recyclers they use, or if they have a disposal dept.

I know m county here in FL unloaded hundreds and hundreds of II's and Macs about 6-7 years ago, and they still trickle out a few dozen at a time.

T

Geo3
February 17th, 2008, 08:31 PM
A few that were not mentioned.

FleaMarkets, Goodwill, Salvation Army,
Hamfests, Hamfest locator (http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html )
Freecycle.Com, CheapCycle.com the other News like groups. Like AppleFritter, 68KMLA forums,Retroputing,A2Web, A2web newsgroups, Craiglist, and Auctions,

Be Careful of what you wish for.

Druid6900
February 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM
Find a collector, whack them on the head with an IBM Model M keyboard, back a truck up to the door and 'Voila'; instant collection :)

I know where there is a great collection in California LOL

afleetcommand
February 18th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Town Dump has been the best supply of basic hardware..I have no idea where these old HP's came from. But there they were, over a couple of week period! So I washed them (litterally) off and was able to piece together a working OS from the combination of four hacked up machines.....Ebay took care of the rest. Keyboards, tape drives, monitors, etc.

barythrin
February 18th, 2008, 01:27 PM
How do you go about getting stuff from the dump? Do they have a holding area for newly acquired stuff? I keep hearing about all these great finds and although I'm not particularly fond of the smell if I found something cool it may be worth checking out if I knew how.

- John

Yzzerdd
February 18th, 2008, 02:32 PM
There is a fine line between the "dump" and a junkyard. At least here in the USA there is. At the dump, things like composte, wood, and food reside. At the junkyard, metals, monitors, computer goodies, and electronics take up space.

--Ryan
P.S. The Lewisville dump doesn't smell too bad, depending on where in it you go.

Rockin' Kat
February 19th, 2008, 01:15 AM
I try to find stuff at thrift stores and used computer shops... Thift stores are all about luck of good timing.... but I have a used computer store (http://www.repc.com/) near me that's always got something Apple II out for sale in their "vintage as is" section.. usually pretty fair prices(not speaking for their online sales though, only local.)

Would defenantly be a good idea to look up local businesses to see if there's anything like that near you.

Otherwise, I find places where used Macs are traded can often be a good place to find cheap Apple IIs. I know of at least three people who've gotten Apple II computers free for shipping by means of places set up for trade and sale of Mac stuff.

The LowEndMac swap list (http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/swap.html) can be a good place... note that while the rules request posts related to the sales of Apple II goods be refered to their Apple II list, it doesn't actually refer to messages by those looking to buy.