Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Chuck(G)

1. GoTek Floppy Emulator, Part III - Try to crack the nut, first try

So what's in the firmware for this thing? I can guess, based on the operation--and having done one myself, but it'd be nice to get the firmware from the unit itself.

So, there's that header near the power pins that I was talking about. I've identified the connections to the MCU USART and noted from that there's a serial boot utility that's present in the chip. All that's needed is a level converter for 3.3V logic to RS232C and a terminal emulator running on a PC (I really like ...

Updated January 16th, 2013 at 11:37 PM by Chuck(G)

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. GoTek Floppy Emulator, Part II - Operation

Okay, time to test this thing and see what's up.

As mentioned earlier, this thing comes with a mini-CD--but don't expect much. You get English and Chinese versions of the somewhat cryptic manual and a couple of software programs in RAR archives.

No installation routines; you have to figure that out all by yourself. No wonder they don't sell many of these.

The format is fixed at 18 512-byte sectors per track on 80 tracks, with sectors numbered from 1 to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. GoTek 1.44M 3.5" Floppy Emulator Tear-down

On a whim, I picked up a GoTek 3.5" 1.44M floppy emulator from eBay for just under USD$29 shipped.

It arrived in a padded mailing envelope with a "China Post" shipping label. Inside, inside of a plastic bag was a "mini" CD and the GoTek unit with a couple of mounting screws.

Here's a top view of the GoTek next to a traditional (NEC) 3.5" 1.44M drive:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SideBySide.JPG 
Views:	1429 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	11542

Here's what the front looks ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. LCD's and Backlights?

Quote Originally Posted by lyonadmiral View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I think I'm going to take a whack at replacing the inverter. It is only $5 bucks shipped so I think I'll do that first. The laptop isn't mission critical, so if I break it, it's okay.
    Be careful if the thing comes with a plug with wires attached--one of mine was shipped with a plug with red = ground and black = +12, so double-check the documentation before you solder!
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. PC-6300 and a Future Domain TMC-850M SCSI Controller, locking up the system

There's probably a better place to put this post, but since it came up...

I've located the booklet--actually about 20 pages (AT&T pub 999-300-3091S) that gives instructions for upgrading to the 1.43 BIOS. It came with 2 EPROMs and 1 PAL, identified as "PAL 90" and as a "memory decoder PAL". It replaces PAL49 at position 2P on the motherboard.

There's some additional information regarding switches and disks in the booklet as well. In particular, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast