Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Gary C

1. Wife thinks I am mad

So the PSU of the MZ-80K has been reunited with the computer and it works. Monitor is clear and bright with no screen burn. The rest of the computer on the other hand is filthy. The keyboard keys are sticking and some of the graphic keys have labels under the plastic covers, obviously to represent a numeric keypad for some program.

Keyboard has now been stripped, this required desoldering of every keyswitch, but after that they pop out of the frame as easy as anything and the keytops ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Further adventures of Multibus

Finally got my 286/10 processor running in my multibus rack.

I wire wrapped a iLBX bus between the CPU and memory cards but it wasn't starting on power up. In the end it wasn't getting a clean reset so I have now wired up a toggle switch to the Multibus master reset line and now it starts with a memory check (i think, it gives a row of 0 0 0) then the intel monitor program welcome message).

Next issue is software. Not sure if I will program it myself with a simple OS, ...
    Tags: multibus Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Thats Sharp

Bought an MZ80K for a very reasonable price 6 months ago and have just been able to pick it up owing to the distance and the lock down.

Love the design details, like the support for the case lid and the little screw to lock the support into place
    And the internal monitor controls all nicely labelled.

Unplugged the PSU from the board and powered up, nothing. Strangely there is no fuse on the rear of the computer, but there are five inside the PSU case and the mains ...

Updated August 10th, 2020 at 06:07 AM by Gary C

Tags: mz-80k Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. 5160 rides again

The 5160 has been restored to good health.

The case has finally been filled and sprayed. Pantone 413U seems to be a reasonable match, it has that greenish tinge but seems quite a bit lighter, however after sanding down the case it became apparent that the original paint was very very dirty so it might be spot against a new machine. For the bezel I used some BMW mini pepper white spray and that looks reasonable too.
    Due to the extensive damage to the metal case, it lost a lot of ...

Updated August 4th, 2020 at 09:34 AM by Gary C

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. What a difference a day makes

I have been trying to repair the corroded tracks of my Quadboard, but there are more than I originally thought. Having a look at ebay has bought a ram bare clone board to my attention for a very keen price. Given I have all the correct chips, its probably worth trying to see if that card will work first.

Bezel of the 5160 has been glued and filled and now to spraying. I have found a great colour match in BMW mini pepper white but its the finish that might be difficult. I have given ...
    Tags: 5160, 911, ibm xt Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast