Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Surgery

Whenever you open up a PC to have a look at the "Guts",you are taking a calculated risk.In my case,I get the added "fun" of forgetting how it all goes back together.Recently I took apart a Fujitsu TeamPad Tablet PC to "Find" the Hard Drive.Well I broke that sucker down into all of it's sub assemblies and discovered that there was NO HD!What there was,was a Compact Flash Card Socket.Only then did I notice the slot to insert the card inside of the Battery Bay.I never ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Fresh Blood

I have noticed that there have been a fair number of "New" Forum Members from both Europe and Asia.That expands everyone's horizons.It will be interesting to hear what "Old Stuff" they might have in their Countries.
    I have found the posts by the Scandanavian Members pretty informative as they talk about the Vintage PCs that are in their "World".It's cool to expand my "World View" that way.In the past,I have been guilty of being a bit "Ego Centric" ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Trusting (or Not) Your Gut

I have had mostly great experiences,here on the VCF.In buying and trading,it's like how I expected it to be.My first instinct is to "Trust My Gut" when a Trade or Buy is being considered.I'm from a background where "Horse Tradin'" is a skill you picked up while you were a kid.You learned about how to treat folks and the meaning of Good and Bad that way.There is no rule more universal in the history of Mankind as the "Golden Rule".No religion or belief system can lay ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. How to build your own homebrew computer: Make a prototype

So you've scoured the internet and found just the right schematic for your first homebrew computer. Now you want to build it yourself and are wondering how to go about making the circuit. There are many options but three very common approaches you might consider. Let's pick this one for example:

http://z80.info/gfx/z80test.gif

The first and probably easiest is to use a breadboard. These are simple devices you can get from Radio Shack, Jameco, or many other electronic ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Today is a "Bad" Day

I get these "Bad" days every so often.It takes a lot of effort to just type a coherent sentence.(Only 3 tries for that last one)On days like this I am a hazard to any PC I try to "Fix".(It's more like Kill!)These don't last for more than a day or two.Maybe tomorrow will be better.
    Categories
    Uncategorized