Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Possibility of making clone MCA sound cards.

Quote Originally Posted by WBST View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal9000 View Post
    I was just wondering if anyone has one of these and how good it sounds:

http://www.chipchat.com/mca/SoundCard/SoundCard.html
    I know Lore(nzo) has one with the Wavetable add-on (he's NY-based, so hiding from the COVID-19 risks a.t.m.), but they are rare as rocking-horse doodoo and sell for ridiculous prices on eBay (I'm talking thousands, not hundreds of dollars U.S.). Lore doesn't come on here that I know of, and the MCA Mafia "live" elsewhere, apart from
  2. Quiet couple of weeks

Been a quiet couple of weeks, Wife and I were off enjoying the sun and the garden.

Managed to get a few hours to work out how to increase the contrast on my VT420, a small adjustment to the +5V has brought it back, but not sure why.

But back to it today. Decided to put the original motherboard back into my Apple II europlus (replaced the failed board with a good one in the early days). The original had a failed CPU and a failed memory chip and I wanted to have the ...

Updated June 29th, 2020 at 02:28 AM by Gary C

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Good end to a great week

After rectifying my Einstein and sorting the sound out on my Amiga, I then decided to look at three other acquisitions. Two I have had for several months (a ZX81 and a VAX 4000 model 96) and one new one (A VAX 4000 VLC)

Firstup was the VLC. Powered up, system password changed and its working great. Not much more to say on that, other than its a great little machine. A VAX you can almost stick in your pocket. Buoyed by this, next was the 4000/96. This one was obtained some time ago, ...
    Tags: vax 4000, zx81 Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. TC01 rides again and other adventures

New VRAM chips arrived in the post, so after socketing the board last week, it was a simple job of swapping two out and two new ones in.

Glad I did socket the board as while the screen was now different, it still wasn't right. I had ordered 4 chips so put the other two spares in, and hey presto screen is now working. I now have at least one 'new' 4116 chip that is defective.

With the screen fixed, it was possible to boot the system using the original 3" disks I ...

Updated June 17th, 2020 at 04:35 AM by Gary C

Tags: a500, amiga, tatung, tc01, zx81 Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Tatung Einstein TC01 adventures

Well, finally got around to powering up my TC01 last night.

Whirred and clicked and displayed a steady display but with a white box on the right and corrupt text on the left.

Typing commands caused the drive to read and the display changes, but still corrupt.

This computer uses a Texas Instruments video processor called a TMS9129 which uses its own ram to store the display. This unit allows multiple overlays to display sprites and graphics. Given the ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized