Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Into Alpha land

Paul (PG31) gifted me three Alpha machines (what a star) and I have been investigating them.

First up is a DS10 AlphaServer 600MHz but it won't start. PSU would not fire up and without a drawing trying to find out what it failed has proved fruitless (so far). I happened to have a ATX PSU that was only an amp out on the +5 and +3.3 lines so that has been spliced in and it now powers up.
    However, still no joy. I am not getting any activity on any bus (except the independent monitoring ...

Updated November 25th, 2020 at 06:25 AM by Gary C

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. M/75 Is Fixed, SHSUCD Shennanigans.........

Well that was a long wait on stuff......NOT

Turns out I just knocked the power board loose when I Dropped it.....so I added additional insulated foam support inside the case....that thing isnt coming loose again.

So most of my tinkering since has been with the SHSUCD suite of utilities for optical drives in DOS. I'm doing all this under FreeDOS 2.1 for the time being (really tempted to put RC 1.3 on though).

So anyway....I've got five or so game's I've ...
  3. M/75 Dead, My Explorations in Board Level Repairs, P/75 as main?

So last night I was playing Hoyle Soliatire on my NEC Versa M/75 and of course somewhere along the lines I had to move, screen shifted, and then the computer shutdown and would not come back up, acting fully dead. So I guess it's time to do some board-level 486 autopsy. Kind of a shame, that was my favorite one, but I guess the P/75 has not been getting enough "love" lately so I'll tune that one and tweak that one, plus give it a chance to be a FreeDOS beast, and maybe also bring the ...
  4. Long time....no update....

I have a second blog at blogger, but wondering if maybe I should stick to this one here....any thoughts? While blogger is easier I have a far longer legacy here at VCF than I do at blogger. Plus this feels more like something I"d use (and it works with my vintage computers).

So since the last post a long time ago....a lot has changed. I live in a different region, my collection was downsized and then regrown again (something about this keeps me coming back, even though it's ...
  5. Crazy year

I do hope next year will be better.

Booked a holiday to Greece at the end of 2019 to travel September 2020 but with the uncertainty we refused to pay the balance in May meaning we lost the deposit, then we booked a trip to Santorini then with 20 hours to go, that was cancelled by the travel operator when it went on the Quarantine list.

Then I had to splash out 2.5K fixing the Porsche (first world problem or what) with new brakes and tyres.

More luck ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
Page 1 of 111 123451151101 ... LastLast