Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. DING DONG!!! The drive is DEAD!!!

It is official!

Not even CP/M can do anything with this POS...

Oh well, I have a 800-megger coming, so I will attempt to be patient(er) until it arrives...

Unhappy, yes. Surprised?

IzUkiddin?

Edit: You know... now that I think about it, it MAY be possible to check if the drive has anything on it OTHER than the boot track... all I did was to attempt a 'blank/format'...

IF I recall correctly, ...

Updated April 25th, 2010 at 05:39 AM by leeb

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. DOS now accessible! RIP CP-2024?

A working (tho not 'original') floppy drive came in the mail today. With it, I was able to boot DOS and attempt to HSECT the 2024... which worked fine, until it got to track 0... which would not low-format.

It is looking more-and-more like I will be forced to replace the 2024 with something else...
    The only other option is to attach it to the 4p with CP/M (once the IDE adapters show up), and see if I can FORCE-FEED data onto track 0... perhaps after that, IF IT WORKS, HSECT ...

Updated April 24th, 2010 at 12:51 AM by leeb

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Good news... and bad!

Yesterday I was able to make a couple of gains...

I was able to connect the 2024 to ME by USB and altho I couldnt do anything with it, I WAS able to:

1) Force a drive letter which allowed me to 'talk' to it...
    2) attempt scandisk and format... tho they failed there WAS activity with would not normally happen if it were unuseable...
    3) ... and get it to BLINK!!! (sounds like a small thing, but )

Also, I found why the CMOS seemed to ...

Updated April 20th, 2010 at 07:03 AM by leeb

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Another nail for the CP-2024...

Today I attached a 40Gb drive (that I intend to use on the 1500... maybe) on the beast to see if anything 'different' would happen.

And it did.

When it attempted to access the HD, unlike the 2024, this one blinked the drive light instead of it sitting there solid.

I take that as a good sign for the 40Gb and a bad one for the 2024...

But, as before, I will reserve judgement for the time being... I have ordered a couple of IDE(44)-2-IDE(40) ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. BIG pain for such a small drive...

This machine came with a Conner CP-2024 2.5" HDD as standard equipment. Of course, I cannot expect the machine to operate... yet.

What bothers me tho, is the hard drive... I am able to remove it and connect it to my XP thru a USB box... which recognizes it and all that.

Problem is that it APPEARS to be... sick/defective/broken or some combination. While the USB box talks to it and knows what it is, there seems to be no evidence that there had ever been a format ...

Updated April 17th, 2010 at 09:09 PM by leeb

Categories
    Uncategorized