Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. The Versas are Fixed.....ALL of them.....

All the NEC Versa are up and running now, all four of them. So here's the current specs and everything I had to do with them...

1994 NEC Versa 40EC
    - 640x480 Active Matrix Thin Film Transistor 9.4" LCD, Non Pen/Touch, NEC NL6448AC30-06
    - i486 DX2 SLC 40MHz
    - 20MB of RAM (4MB on Board, 16MB on Card)
    - 1.44MB Floppy Drive
    - 540MB 3.5" IBM HDD (Versa Pak, Original to my M/75)
    - Western Digital 65543 1MB SVGA Graphics/LCD Controller ...
    Tags: 486, laptop, nec, pentium, versa Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. More Versa Work.....

Just got the Ultralite in, I got a REAL basketcase, lol. Rusty oscillator, looks like water damage, ticks when the battery is installed, no status on the LCD display, LCD panel thrashed but control boards good, AC Adapter is down for the count as well, and the plastic is cracked. When they said "for parts" they were not kidding. Managed to use a few parts to fix the M/75 I just got.

The M/75 was also a bit of a basketcase - overpaid. But the chassis on this one is flawless ...
    Tags: 486, laptop, nec, repairs, versa Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. NEC Versa PC-4xx Model List

Basically a quick list to identify what model Versa you have by the PC-4xx model number on the bottom...and other information for an upcoming video that might prove useful.

400 - Intel 486 DX-20 SLC, 4MB RAM base, 20MB MAx, WD SVGA video, Dumb Battery, no trackball
    410 - Intel 486 DX-25 SLC, 4MB RAM Base, 20MB Max, WD SVGA video, Dumb Battery, no Trackball
    4?0 - Intel 486 DX-33 SLC, 4MB RAM Base, 20MB MAX, WD SVGA video, Dumb Battery, no Trackball
    440 - Intel ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. More Versa Shennanigans......Cool Idea to rehouse the M/75

So, while the M/75's case is crumbling like Feta Cheese to the point I can't use it anymore (that's why I said it "died") - at least not in it's current state.....I got a crazy idea......old computers don't come to the Creeping Network to die, thjey come to the Creeping Network to be reborn as something better than they could have been in their time.

The #1 problem with all these vintage laptop computers is the darn cases. I've owned about 10 of them, and they would make ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized