Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Sine here for 7 Bits

It's time to take the time to make a post to mark my progress. Previously I had mentioned doing sine and cosine multiplications using fixed-point, specifically 10-bit so that the whole unsigned fraction could fit in a single byte. I thought this would be sufficient and it was but it also turned out to still be more than necessary. On top of that, using word multiplications ties up a lot more registers.

So I did two things: first I dropped down to using a single byte to store the entire ...

Updated June 5th, 2017 at 03:02 PM by neilobremski ((deleted unused attachment ... apparently larger dimensions cause GIF to be converted to JPG on this blog))

Categories
    3D
  2. SIMON BUTLER's take on TOTAL RECALL | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 118b

To end Season 3 and to conclude my Total Recall episode, here's an insight from the guy that saved the game and even Ocean from failure:

SIMON BUTLER's take on TOTAL RECALL | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 118b

Updated June 20th, 2017 at 07:30 AM by PixelTHING

Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. Fast 16-bit ABS() in X86 Assembler

I was reading a StackOverflow post on writing an absolute value function in assembler [1] and while the no-branching idea is exciting, I was sad that no 16-bit version was listed. The problem with converting the 32-bit assembler had to do with all of the crazy shifting, which is quite slow on the 8088 if you're doing more than a couple of bits in either direction. The no-branching concept is thus:

Code:
    abs(x) = (x XOR y) - y
    Where y = 0xFFFF if x is negative and y = 0x0000 ...

Updated June 5th, 2017 at 02:35 PM by neilobremski

Tags: assembler, math Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Asm
  4. Radio Shack archives auction

Wow, thanks for posting this info. Apparently the shipping could be an issue on some items and the 36 day to close is a little long.
    Things like the acoustic coupler will be interesting to follow.

I am planning on going to the local store in about an hour for a "special event" this morning.
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Complete Story of Lucasfilm Games & LucasArts | It's a Pixel THING - Special Episode

1 hour and 22 minutes of video gaming history! Celebrating the 40th anniversary of Star Wars, here's the compilation of both It's a Pixel THING episodes about the Complete Story of Lucasfilm Games and LucasArts:

Complete Story of Lucasfilm Games & LucasArts | It's a Pixel THING - Special Episode