Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. Very Rare Find For Me!

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc View Post
    I visit my local Thrift store a few times a month, this time I was in for a surprise. See it on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTiWRSQMHpc
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. The Story of LucasFilm Games (Part I) | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 114

Lucasfilm Games, later known as LucasArts, was one of my favorite video game developers and publishers since its early years.
    This is their story.

The Story of LucasFilm Games (Part I) | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 114
  3. ES Segment Prefix Override

It's possible to override the implied segment of an instruction with a prefix. I was trying to figure out how to do this in DEBUG, specifically to copy the byte at ES:[DI] into AL. I couldn't figure out the correct syntax and the MSDN reference was not helping. I finally just looked up the machine code of such a prefix (26h) and then looked at what DEBUG disassembled it as:

Code:
    0100 BF0301	MOV DI,0103	; set DI to next instruction byte
    0103 26		ES:		; 26h = ES segment prefix override
    Categories
    Asm
  4. Software written in DOS DEBUG

The DEBUG utility included with DOS (and FreeDOS) is an awesome experimental and hobbyist programming platform, but can it be used for professional programs and full blown software? I think so.

My first computer programming was done on Apple II's during a special class in elementary school. I still don't know how I got put into it but we used LOGO to do cool graphics shit with the "turtle". I don't remember much from this period. Later, my mom got a monochrome IBM AT 8088 ...
    Tags: debug Add / Edit Tags
    Categories
    Asm
  5. Yet another INT to ASCII string routine ...

If you've been following along then you know I'm doing some programming in assembler using DEBUG. Very early on in any program with an interface, one is faced with displaying an integer in decimal (base 10) which means converting it to ASCII characters. It's the end of the day for me so I didn't want to get too fancy but I did want to try this on my own and here's what I've come up with ...

Code:
    XOR DX, DX	; zero DX (used for high word in 32 bit divide)
    DIV BX		; divide by decimal
    Categories
    Asm
Page 1 of 91 123451151 ... LastLast