Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

Recent Blogs Posts

1. The Ebay Follies

2. Complete History of COLIN McRAE RALLY and DiRT | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 119

10 years ago, the Colin McRae Rally franchise evolved into DiRT, alongside the advent of the 7th generation of consoles.
    Its the perfect time to recall that huge leap and, also, its origins!

Complete History of COLIN McRAE RALLY and DiRT | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 119
  3. 8 Bit Twice Shy aka Size Does Matter

I've been working with 8-bit fixed point for pre-calculated SINE and COSINE values. One compromise of this is that the maximum positive value is only 127 which means I can only represent 127/128 (0.9921875) and not a whole ONE.

Recently I encountered an odd bug where viewing my tile map from a 270 facing caused the Z coordinates of all objects to be reversed. My test map and player position looked like so:

Code:
    P
     P <
    And thus I expected to see ...
    Categories
    Asm
  4. Q&A: Special 3rd Anniversary | It's a Pixel THING

Celebrating the 3rd Anniversary of the channel, here's my answers to a bunch of questions that you guys are constantly asking me!
    See you all in Season 4!
    Cheers!

Q&A: Special 3rd Anniversary | It's a Pixel THING
  5. Square Raycast

Magenta's Maze is a tile-based 3D game but the first version supported general 3D objects and used C's qsort() to depth sort objects by their first vertex value. Although this was flexible, it was unnecessary (again: tile-based) and slow! In redesigning it for assembler, I did away with the generalized 3D. One can still paint 3D objects but the caller must decide the order in which to paint them, rather than the engine accepting an arbitrary amount of objects, polygons, and vertices then figuring ...
    Categories
    3D
Page 1 of 97 123451151 ... LastLast