Image Map Image Map
View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Compaq SLT/386 or SLT/286 Power Supply Pinout

I've worked out enough of the pinout to get the laptop running with a third party power supply. I don't have a good battery, so I wasn't able to really determine what the battery sense terminals do, or see what things look like when charging. I can dig in a little later after I build a replacement battery; a project for another day.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2733.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	131.9 KB 
ID:	65486

In the image you can see the pinout looking into the computer. These are the male pins.

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Vintage Laptop Experiments - My ideas forvintage laptop structure issues.......

So the P/75's trackball started getting erratic last night and I troubleshot the issues to relate to the laptops's loose plastic bits interfering with the operation of the VersaTrak. So I took out the loose bits, threw some tape on the inside, and viola....the computer is happy as a bug again.

But this has me thinking, a lot of the problems with 90's laptops that I've had have been 2 types of issues - power, and structural issues. Something I've been interested in with regards to ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. More Versa Shennanigans......Cool Idea to rehouse the M/75

So, while the M/75's case is crumbling like Feta Cheese to the point I can't use it anymore (that's why I said it "died") - at least not in it's current state.....I got a crazy idea......old computers don't come to the Creeping Network to die, thjey come to the Creeping Network to be reborn as something better than they could have been in their time.

The #1 problem with all these vintage laptop computers is the darn cases. I've owned about 10 of them, and they would make ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Downsizing ideas......and moving to the Versa P/75

So my M/75, despite being the favorite, has finally crumbled beyond usability. NEC Versa are notorious for this. That said, I'm downsizing and focusing my improvements on the 40EC and P/75 from this point on. And the P/75 will become the main FreeDOS system, which oddly, is only crumbling on the bottom plastic, but the top chassis is solid as a rock somehow (save for parts of the palm-wrest). Plus it just does not need that much work to keep going....I might also look into cross-pollinating ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. Into Alpha land

Paul (PG31) gifted me three Alpha machines (what a star) and I have been investigating them.

First up is a DS10 AlphaServer 600MHz but it won't start. PSU would not fire up and without a drawing trying to find out what it failed has proved fruitless (so far). I happened to have a ATX PSU that was only an amp out on the +5 and +3.3 lines so that has been spliced in and it now powers up.
    However, still no joy. I am not getting any activity on any bus (except the independent monitoring ...

Updated November 25th, 2020 at 06:25 AM by Gary C

Categories
    Uncategorized