Image Map Image Map
  • Category Widget (bottom-up)

• Recent Blog Posts

neilobremski

There Is No Subtraction

These wonderful digital processing units of ours are, at their heart, very fast binary adders. There may be a SUBtract instruction but this is the same as adding the two's compliment of a number. ...

April 25th, 2017 04:01 PM
    neilobremski

The Great DIVide

The DIV and IDIV instructions perform integer divisions simply and relatively quickly as opposed to creating a simple loop. Let me start by showing how one could divide an integer without these...

April 24th, 2017 09:53 AM
    neilobremski

ASCII / BIOS Character Graphics

Even back on the original IBM PC you could get read-only access to the glyph pixel data for the standard ASCII character set, extended ASCII, and control characters with codes less than 32 (0x20) . ...

April 18th, 2017 01:26 PM
    neilobremski

DDA Texture Mapping [Part 1]

I am learning and working on a quadrilateral DDA texture mapper for CGA that uses the 8x8 monochrome BIOS characters for texels, for use in an optimized version of Magenta's Maze. Reading Mats and...

April 17th, 2017 10:22 AM
    PixelTHING

The Complete Story of LucasArts (Part II - Final) | It's a Pixel THING - Ep. 116

Here's the conclusion of #PixelTHING's Complete Story of Lucasfilm Games / LucasArts! Let's take a look at the last 22 years of LucasArts gaming history! Enjoy! The Complete Story of LucasArts...

April 15th, 2017 02:22 AM
  • Recent Forum Posts

lynchaj

Note, I am looking at this through a mostly...

Note, I am looking at this through a mostly hardware lens. I consider a 68K a 16 bit machine but not just looking at the CPU but at the rest of the mainboard, data paths, IO, etc. By the same...

lynchaj Today, 12:42 PM Go to last post
    d5aa96

Do Olivetti (M24) / AT&T (6300) / and Xerox...

Do Olivetti (M24) / AT&T (6300) / and Xerox (6060) count as "large-scale manufacturer's"?

d5aa96 Today, 12:40 PM Go to last post
    Chuck(G)

I collect the old control transformers, mostly...

I collect the old control transformers, mostly because here, they're 208/240V primaries. I use them for a 12VAC supply when run off of 120VAC line current. My outdoor walk way and steps are...

Chuck(G) Today, 11:58 AM Go to last post
    lynchaj

8086 CPU boards were fairly common on industrial...

8086 CPU boards were fairly common on industrial MultiBus systems. Some of those are still running today just chugging away. As for PCs or workstations, probably not so much. It does a good job on...

lynchaj Today, 11:54 AM Go to last post
    Chuck(G)

What's the issue? This looks like a bog-standard...

What's the issue? This looks like a bog-standard AT clone board. No ASICs; nothing special; it could have come from any number of small Taiwanese makers. Why is a guide needed?

Chuck(G) Today, 11:51 AM Go to last post