Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 8 Slot VLB AMPTRON motherboard? WTF?!?

Default 8 Slot VLB AMPTRON motherboard? WTF?!?

Is this thing for real?

http://www.mobokive.org/Archive/TH99/m/A-B/32024.htm

I saw a picture of this on the internet once before, and I thought it was photoshopped. But, while looking on TH99 the other day I stumbled on it again. I know amptron isn't really known for producing quality products, but I am really curious to know if they made any provisions to actually use more than 3 VLB cards at a time.

Blog Entries

Every reference to that board shows 8 VLB, which is impossible to use them all. Look for one on ebay.

I used to have a VLB board that had three VLB slots on it. For some reason, only two would acknowledge, though. Didn't matter which, but only two at a time, depending on address. I wonder if that's the same thing?

One time I heard it was possible to have more than one VLB "channel" on a 486 system...so I wonder if this board implements this, or if it's just a creative marketing ploy.

It must have been expensive to build a full length board with all of those VLB connectors. Amptron usually has a reputation for cheaping out on that sort of thing.

I have several 486 boards with 3 VLB slots, but, I only have video cards and HD/FD multi-I/O cards available, so, I can't test to see if 3 cards work at once.

What else did they make in VLB? I've heard about SCSI cards, but also heard that they didn't work well at the best of times.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

I've seen Ethernet, Video, SCSI (only Adaptec SCSI cards worked well for me, Druid), F/H, F/H-I/O, and once, I saw an ESDI controller that was VLB (I think that's what it was, memory clouds a bit).

There was a Creative Labs 3D blaster for VLB. It was just the 3D component, so not a stand alone video card.

Blog Entries

I have never seen VLB ethernet, mostly it was video, SCSI, I/O+ IDE

I saw one on fleaBay once. It was about 3 or 4 years ago or so. Only one I ever saw. It was 10/100 - probably one of the first, I would imagine.

Yes, I can confirm the 10/100 ethernet for VLB. Not only have I seen them on eBay, I've known a few people that had them. They use an AMD chip, and supposedly they're pretty good cards. Too bad I never seem to have enough leftover VLB slots to justify getting one.