Image Map Image Map

Thread: Help with my IIe , quick question

Default Help with my IIe , quick question

I just received a IIe from a friend , it came absolutely prestine.

I have some questions about my interface cards he included.

I was surprised to find a mouse card which when they came out were super expensive.
    There is a IO Interface card and the result is a 19 pin connector.
    Is this card for a 3 1/2 disk drive? If so is it the same as one for a IIgs?
    Thanks,

Mrbill aka Bill Shull
    Retro Road Show and curator Pennsylvania Museum of Computers, Electronics and Radio.

Retroroadshow.net and PMCER.org

Need more information on the interface card. If it is an apple card, name on the card, number on the card. Liron was a 3.5 drive apple controler. Would only work with the white 800k 3.5 unidisk. Not the regular apple 800k drive.
    It is most likely a 5.25 drive card. But you never know until we have some more information.

Take Care

Its Apple Computer

Io Controller 655-0101-D

19 Pin connector at end of ribbon
    Thanks,

Mrbill aka Bill Shull
    Retro Road Show and curator Pennsylvania Museum of Computers, Electronics and Radio.

Yep, that's the stock 5.25" disk controller. You can chain two 5.25" disks together with it. It won't control a 3.5" disk drive.

Default Controller

My friend included that card and the Disk II controller. Does it matter which I use?
    He gave me two Disk II drives that are the old ribbon cable style , not the 19pin so I guess Im stuck.
    Thanks,

Mrbill aka Bill Shull

Quote Originally Posted by david__schmidt View Post
    Yep, that's the stock 5.25" disk controller. You can chain two 5.25" disks together with it. It won't control a 3.5" disk drive.
    Actually you could chain 4 together if you had them. Check Fleabay
    http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j156/fred3rd/newsig5.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by fred3rd View Post
    Actually you could chain 4 together if you had them.
    On the IIgs, yes, but there's a max of two 3.5" drives (Apple 3.5" and the Unidisks) and two 5.25" drives. There's a max of two 5.25" drives on any one Disk II controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbill317
    My friend included that card and the Disk II controller. Does it matter which I use? He gave me two Disk II drives that are the old ribbon cable style
    It matters which controller you use in the sense that it has to connect to the drives you have. If you have the ribbon-cable drives and an old Disk II controller with the 20-pin headers, you're good to go. Use that combination. Be sure to line the pins up carefully. If you're off by one row, you can fry the drive electronics.