Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PC/IX Images

Default PC/IX Images

I am excited to be able to report that I have had time to image my 5.25 diskettes of 1984 for IBM's PC/IX

To get everybody interested recall that Interactive Systems was subcontracted by IBM to produce PC/IX and also VM/IX which were IBMs very earliest UNIX offerings.

I don't want to get into any arguments but let's say this formed the foundation for its more modern UNIX offerings.

This product preceeded XENIX and ran on a monochrome PC/XT

Later Interactive brought out 286 and 386 based versions of UNIX. My images are NOT those products!

19 diskettes are uploaded into 2 formats

a) Daniel Valots EMT4WIN format
    b) Dave Dunfield IMG imagedisk format

I only have a PC-XT286 (essentially an AT in an XT case) and neither that or Virtual PC of VMware seem to be able to be able to load these images.

So I'm looking for volunteers to make me extremely jealous and try it out on some real XT hardware (without a VGA card I would suppose) or tell me how to get a virtual environment working that plays along with this ancient software.

Here are the EMT images

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/...ges/index.html

Here are the Dunfield images

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/...ges/index.html

There are 19 images in all and to start with you should boot from the 01 maintenance disk, which as I remember back over 20 years will then ask you for the subsequent CORE disks.

I have no documentation so if anybody does then please contact me.

All imaging went well except disk 17 was partially unreadable on IMGagedisk

Finally, if you know me you'll know that I always have a backup! So with more time I will also be creating then uploading a second set of PC/IX images from my backup diskettes, so there will be 2 source sets to play with (in case there is definite damage to any disk image)

regards marcus b

Blog Entries

I can definitely download these and test them out, probably this weekend though as I have some research to do tonight. I'll be grabbing the ImageDisk images as I don't trust windows disk imaging programs

Quote Originally Posted by Trixter View Post
    I can definitely download these and test them out, probably this weekend though as I have some research to do tonight. I'll be grabbing the ImageDisk images as I don't trust windows disk imaging programs
    ----
    FYI, there is a DOS version of EMT (as well as OS/2 and Linux)

m

Blog Entries

Well, it definitely works; booting the 01 Maintenance disk shows this:

Code:
    Standalone Shell
    $$
    I typed ls and got the following:

Code:
    Inode      Modes Links  User Group       Size Name
    -----      ----- -----  ---- -----       ---- ----
        2 drwxr-xr-x     4     2     2        176 .
        2 drwxr-xr-x     4     2     2        176 ..
        2 dr--r--r--     1     2     2        176 boot
    ...etc, in other words, a directory listing with the following files: boot, dd, format, fsck, install, mkfs, and sash (standalone shell).

It is **freaky** seeing unix on my xt.

I'll find a free XT somewhere to install this on (I don't want to overwrite my development 5160's drive). But that will have to wait until the weekend, sorry.

Oh I am really jealous now!

Can you post the configuration of the machine which sucessfully booted the 01 maintenance diskette?

For example, I suppose it has a genuine monochrome adapter card driving an old skool pre VGA display?

Regards marcus

Blog Entries

IBM PC/XT Model 5160 with 640KB RAM and an IBM CGA adapter connected to an IBM 5153 CGA monitor.

If CGA worked, VGA should work. So I don't think the problem is display, I think it's 286. 8088/8086 supported a few things 286 didn't -- for example you can PUSH and POP CS, whereas in 286 and later those opcodes mean something else. So if it doesn't work on 286, that's probably why.

It is **freaky** seeing unix on my xt.
    Don't forget that Minix has had an 8086/8088 variant for many, many years.

T

Blog Entries

Agreed, but Minix was created in 1989 if memory serves. It is interesting to see a product almost as old as DOS that is a functional unix on an 8088.

I have a spare machine ready to load with it, now I just need to come up with 19 spare disks

Yes whilst I did use Minix from an early age and was often to be seen clutching Andrew Tanenbaum's famous Modern Operating Systems, I would say though that PC/IX was really in a different league.

It was full on UNIX, you know compilers, SCCS, accounting, the works. All running on an 8088. Again, doesn't anybody have the documentation to this or VM/IX? If we could have this scanned and published I think you would agree what an amazing product for the time it really was.

Regards marcus.

10. Default

IBM PC/XT Model 5160 with 640KB RAM and an IBM CGA adapter connected to an IBM 5153 CGA monitor.

If CGA worked, VGA should work. So I don't think the problem is display, I think it's 286. 8088/8086 supported a few things 286 didn't -- for example you can PUSH and POP CS, whereas in 286 and later those opcodes mean something else. So if it doesn't work on 286, that's probably why.
    I have SCO Xenix for 8086 XT including development kit etc.

Funny enough Xenix 86 was developed after 286 that is 1.0 version of Xenix was developed by Microsoft for 286 and the ported by SCO to XT.

Regards,
    a