Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: PC/IX Images

Default PC/ix...

It's been a LONG time since I thought about this, but I definitely remember that PC/ix would NOT run on anything but an XT. You couldn't run it on at AT or 386 at all. If I'm remembering correctly, this was intentional. IBM had a deal to sell Xenix on the AT and they didn't want PC/ix eating into that market. After all, the AT was much faster and had a bigger hard drive.

At one time, I also owned Interactive's (the people who created PC/ix) 386/ix with the full-blown manual set. I'm so mad at myself for letting both these items go years ago.

Mark

I just found this very interesting post , but does anybody still have the disk images listed in beginning of this thread?

Dunfield ImageDisk format images here:

http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/softw...tage/ibm/pcix/

There's a .zip archive under images/ if you want all 19 in a compressed format. These images are still available on maben.homeip.net, albeit in a different directory. maben.homeip.net also doesn't seem to have a ton of bandwidth to spare, whereas I just found out my hosting package includes unlimited transfer!

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    dunfield imagedisk format images here:

http://filedump.glitchwrks.com/softw...tage/ibm/pcix/

there's a .zip archive under images/ if you want all 19 in a compressed format. These images are still available on maben.homeip.net, albeit in a different directory. Maben.homeip.net also doesn't seem to have a ton of bandwidth to spare, whereas i just found out my hosting package includes unlimited transfer!
    Thanks!! but it seems to be down.

Quote Originally Posted by Klee View Post
    Thanks!! but it seems to be down.
    Good chance the DNS hasn't finished registering the subdomain...I registered it about 10 minutes before I posted! Try http://www.glitchwrks.com/filedump/s...tage/ibm/pcix/

Quote Originally Posted by glitch View Post
    Good chance the DNS hasn't finished registering the subdomain...I registered it about 10 minutes before I posted! Try http://www.glitchwrks.com/filedump/s...tage/ibm/pcix/
    Thanks again!! Link is working.

Got them!!

Now to install on a 8088 clone with 256k ram.
    Last edited by Klee; March 23rd, 2011 at 06:39 PM.

Any tips on installing it? Typed "install" at the command prompt and it reads off the floppy for about 10-15 seconds then floppy light goes out and im left with a flashing curser and it is not responsive to the keyboard.

Tried it on two pc's , one a 8088 with 256k ram and my 8086 deskpro with 640k and it does the exact same thing on both. Also tried two different image files and two different image programs. Hummm..........

Update: It still does not install , the first disc boots fine and I can run format floppys and run the other commands but not the install command. Also it cannot read the other discs in the series that I made once its booted off the 01maint disc , ls command shows "..No such file or directory" .

Any of you older version Unix gurus can help?
    Last edited by Klee; March 24th, 2011 at 07:46 PM.

Installing now!!

I can not find any install guide at all for PC/IX on the internet. I did read a tiny section of a book in google books about it was designed to use a 8087 so I stuck one in just incase.

I was playing around with the dunfield 01maint.imd image file with Dave Dunfields Imagedisk program ( specificly the IMDU.COM ) and was looking at the "F5 STRINGS" function just poking about and noticed the program listed a big compressed file in the image along with the other programs so I ran imdu with the" /e maint.imd "switch to expand the data and then used the "F5" function again.

Now it shows lots more info and under the "install.c" area it listed all the outputs of install.c , replys to commands error messages a note about max hd size is 305 sectors and ;ots more interesting stuff also this "press space bar to install".

PRESS THE SPACE BAR TO INSTALL ..................is it that simple?

Not really because with the original .imd file it never accepted the spacebar input.

Next I renamed the maint.imd to 01maint.imd and booted off of it just to try it out.

It works , after typing the install command and after the floppy light goes out and pressing the space bar it goes straight to the partition section of the install.!!!

But its inconsistant , after about 5 reboots to test it out it only went on with the install 2 times and on the second time I started the install and once it makes it to the partition setup screen everything is ok. Dont know if its the floppy , or one of the 360k drives i'm using.

It is also inconsistant on the Deskpro it seems , but I only tried to run it twice.

The unmodded 01maint.imd file refused to ever accept the space bar input.

Now I need to make more install floppys to finish the install.
    Last edited by Klee; March 25th, 2011 at 11:00 PM.

Installed then rebooted and errored out "cannot load unix press cntrl alt delete"

THANKS to amouse for posting this! i've never heard of PC/IX before, it looks pretty cool. looks like a lot of you are having problems getting it to run without using real hardware. it runs perfectly the PC emu i've been writing.

i can upload it pretty soon if anybody wants to try PC/IX but have been having problems with other emulators. from what i've seen so far, MINIX 2 blows this out of the water.

not really a fair comparison though, but this is a really cool piece of computing history.
    My emulators!
    Fake86 8086/V20 PC emulator: http://sourceforge.net/p/fake86
    MoarNES Nintendo emulator: http://sourceforge.net/p/moarnes