Image Map Image Map
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: PC/IX Images

Anybody have any tips/suggestions for making a 5.25" floppy disk of the 01MAINT.IMD in order to boot this on an XT?

When I run:

C:\...IMDU 01MAINT.IMD

I get:

IMageDisk Utility 1.16
    IMD 1.17: 24/05/2008 10:10:06
    PCIX Maintenance diskette
    Use for install also
    0/0 250 kbps DD 9x512
    80 tracks (40/40), 720 sectors (359 data, 361 compressed, 0 unavail)

Then my settings in IMD are:

Drive : A
    Cylinders : 40
    Sides : Two
    Double-step : Off
    R/W gap : Calculated
    Format gap : Calculated
    Format fill : E5
    Full Analysis : No
    Interleave : As read
    Retries : 5
    500 kbps -> : 500 kbps
    300 kbps -> : 300 kbps
    250 kbps -> : 250 kbps

When I boot from the 5.25" floppy -- my 5151 display flashes then displays a blinking cursor that can be moved by the keyboard ... typing the "ls" command does something (floppy light starts blinking) ... but nothing on the screen ...

I had zero trouble making a bootable disk , my trouble is on the install and reboot.

I dont remember which program I used to make the images , used a Windows 98 pc in DOS mode to do it as I had issues making it in a DOS window in Windows98.

Quote Originally Posted by Klee View Post
    I had zero trouble making a bootable disk , my trouble is on the install and reboot.

I dont remember which program I used to make the images , used a Windows 98 pc in DOS mode to do it as I had issues making it in a DOS window in Windows98.
    Would you be able to make an image file/copy of your bootable disk?

Hi

just wondering if anyone managed to get the PC/IX installed on a real XT class machine in the end, I just tried on an IBM XT and manged to complete the install but got the 'panic blkdev' error on reboot. Its a long install so was hoping for some advice before trying again, do you need to keep it exactly within the specs laid out in a previous post above:

The minimum hardware configuration for the IBM Personal Computer XT consists of:
    1 IBM Personal Computer XT System Unit/Keyboard (Model 5160087), which includes the following:

- 1 Dual Sided Diskette Drive;
    - 1 10 MB Fixed Disk Drive;
    - 1 Asynchronous Communications Support Adapter;
    - 128 KB of Memory.

- 2 64 KB Memory Module Kits (Option 1501003), for a total of 256 KB of memory.
    - 1 IBM Monochrome Display (Option 5151001) and Adapter (Option 1504900)
    OR
    -1 IBM Color Display (Option 5153001) and Adapter (Option 1504910); the Color Display is supported in text mode only.

I have an original IBM XT 256-640k motherboard with 640k, the May '86 bios with a generic Hercules mono graphics card and 10MB mfm hard drive on WD1002A-WX1 controller. i don't have the 8087 or asynchronous serial card installed so would this cause the error is it more likely to be down to the graphics card/hard drive controller not being specific enough?

I appreciate there is a emulator with PC/IX installed but wanted to try it out on real hardware so any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Leigh

Quote Originally Posted by tenox View Post
    Funny enough Xenix 86 was developed after 286 that is 1.0 version of Xenix was developed by Microsoft for 286 and the ported by SCO to XT.
    In fact there were two target platforms for SCO's 8086/88 port of XENIX - one was the PC/XT and the other was a Burroughs machine running BTOS where XENIX actually ran as a task under BTOS (similar to the way in which, today, Linux supports a "user mode" platform aka UML where it runs as a user mode process).

Separately, Altos had their own version of Microsoft XENIX running on the 8086 based Altos 586 which had some MMU type functionality implemented in hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by labspencer View Post
    WD1002A-WX1 controller
    You need the IBM Xebec controller, or at least one that is register-compatible.