Image Map Image Map

Thread: Requesting Help with Vintage Comp in Progress

Default Requesting Help with Vintage Comp in Progress

Hi, I'm really interested in building a vintage computer similar to the one that's featured at this link: http://kaput.retroarchive.org/

I'm doing this primarily for enjoyment of programming 8-bit music and maybe some ASM. But I was wondering if someone could help me out a bit? I got my hands on an Intel C8080A and a MOS 6581 SID C64 chip to put into my system. What I need to know is what sort of board, cards (display etc), or psu I would need to include.

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

For a minimal computer you'll want a CPU (of course), some RAM and ROM, and a serial port to communicate to it through a terminal, such as HyperTerminal or Kermit. Anything else (such as the SID) is extra.

A simple computer like this can be built on the one board. You need a *lot* of patience when you wire it up too.

While I think of it, do you just have an 8080 by itself? Because it needs support components, unlike the 8085 and Z80. The 8224 clock generator and 8228/8238 bus driver are the easiest to use if you can find them, because they're intended to be used with the 8080. You can use discrete logic but it's a hassle.

http://kaput.homeunix.org/~thrashbarg/Z80SBC.png is a minimal Z80 computer I designed. Feel free to use it.

Also, I made the computer in question

Whoaaaaaa no way!!!

I must commend you because you sir, made one hell of an awesome computer!

I have the 8080 by itself, so I'm probably going to need to find those extra support components somewhere (maybe ebay?).

Anyways nice to meet you!!

What's in the EPROM of that Z80 SBC?

m

A couple of questions re the Z80 SBC schematic:

- What's the source of the EEPROM /CE and the input of the 'LS04 driving the RAM /CE?
    - No problem driving the LEDs directly?
    - Is the EEPROM code available by any chance?

Thanks,

m

Quote Originally Posted by sbdroni View Post

I have the 8080 by itself, so I'm probably going to need to find those extra support components somewhere (maybe ebay?).
    For help with the chips above try the forum at this site: www.cpu-world.com
    Lots of friendly chip experts that will help you out.

- What's the source of the EEPROM /CE and the input of the 'LS04 driving the RAM /CE?

A15. When it's low the EEPROM is accessed, when it's high the RAM is accessed. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.

- No problem driving the LEDs directly?

I've never had a problem. It might reduce the life span of the IC a little but this isn't exactly a mission critical system. Again I'm trying to keep it simple.

- Is the EEPROM code available by any chance?

No, I've left that up to the builder.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrashbarg View Post

A15. When it's low the EEPROM is accessed, when it's high the RAM is accessed. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible.
    ---
    D'oh! Of course! Thought it referred to the left side, not the right; sorry.

m