Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorita IBM-Compatible Games

Default Favorita IBM-Compatible Games

Hello,

which are your favorite MS-DOS/PC-DOS games since the beginning of IBM-XT till 1990.
    In this peroid I owned a C64 and Amiga but I don`t now which games where popular on MS-DOS/PC-DOS.
    The later DOS-games are not interest for me.

Are there games like c64: shamus, blue-max, jumpman, world-games...

Yes, indeed, there are many great PC games to be found such as the ones you listed.
    Here's an interesting site that showcases many of the popular ones:

http://retrograde.trustno1.org/index.html
    The world has moved on and left me behind. Therefore I choose to retreat into the past.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MaTel View Post
    Hello,

which are your favorite MS-DOS/PC-DOS games since the beginning of IBM-XT till 1990.
    In this peroid I owned a C64 and Amiga but I don`t now which games where popular on MS-DOS/PC-DOS.

Except for Blue-Max, all of those were on PC and played just like the C64 versions but with worse colors and music.

My favorite pre-1990 games are:

Outrun
    Stunt Track Racer
    Hack
    Alley Cat
    Spacewar (with a human opponent)
    Arctic Fox
    Starglider
    Rocket Ranger
    Defender of the Crown
    Wasteland
    Karnov
    and tons more I can't remember at the moment.

PCjr - King's Quest !!!!!!!
    "Well this film wastes no precious screen time with a plot!" -- Crow (from MST3K), while watching Red Zone Cuba

Hm, what is "composite" mode on an IBM PC compatible? On the page Darth Kur linked to, a few Bally Midway games are represented both with RGB (CGA) graphics and something called composite, which is a bit more blurry but with a lot more colours. Sorry to break out a technical question in a supposedly non-technical thread, but I have rarely or never seen this before. Perhaps those really are later EGA or even VGA conversions of the 1984 titles?

By the way, almost all the screenshots seem to be CGA. When did EGA become popular, did only the graphical adventure games support it or is there another reason why those sites would only display CGA graphics (most common back then)?

Edit: A hint may be that on one page it says Tandy 1000, so maybe those Bally games had enhanced Tandy / PCjr (?) graphics that in composite mode on a TV will look like that. I saw that Super Zaxxon (and BC's Quest for Tires) also has a such mode, which makes sense as all three of Spy Hunter, Tapper and Super Zaxxon were released for home computers by Sega at the same occassion.

Edit 2: Nope. The Black Cauldron from Sierra has three screen shots: RGB, Composite and Tandy 1000, all slightly different.
    Last edited by carlsson; June 20th, 2008 at 03:15 PM.
    Anders Carlsson

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Hm, what is "composite" mode on an IBM PC compatible? On the page Darth Kur linked to, a few Bally Midway games are represented both with RGB (CGA) graphics and something called composite, which is a bit more blurry but with a lot more colours. Sorry to break out a technical question in a supposedly non-technical thread, but I have rarely or never seen this before. Perhaps those really are later EGA or even VGA conversions of the 1984 titles?

By the way, almost all the screenshots seem to be CGA. When did EGA become popular, did only the graphical adventure games support it or is there another reason why those sites would only display CGA graphics (most common back then)?

Edit: A hint may be that on one page it says Tandy 1000, so maybe those Bally games had enhanced Tandy / PCjr (?) graphics that in composite mode on a TV will look like that. I saw that Super Zaxxon (and BC's Quest for Tires) also has a such mode, which makes sense as all three of Spy Hunter, Tapper and Super Zaxxon were released for home computers by Sega at the same occassion.

Edit 2: Nope. The Black Cauldron from Sierra has three screen shots: RGB, Composite and Tandy 1000, all slightly different.
    Looks to me like the Composite screen shots are the same as the Tandy 1000 ones, only with the brightness reduced, which to me indicates that it's the same graphic mode displayed on a Composite screen connected to a Tandy 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by carlsson View Post
    Hm, what is "composite" mode on an IBM PC compatible?
    That's what you get if you connect a CGA card to a composite monitor rather than an RGB monitor, and switch on the colour burst signal. It approximates to a colour mode, 160 pixels wide and 200 lines high.

Quote Originally Posted by MaTel View Post
    Hello,

My favourite Dos game was Xenon2... How many hours playing it!!!
    I'm sorry for my bad english... I'm from Italy

Ultima 6
    Ultima 7 + Serpent isle
    Might and Magic III

where my most played games back then,
    i didnt own a IBM computer until late 80's/early 90's, so im not sure if my list counts.

Didn't own a PC back then but a Commodore 64 and then I got an Amiga 500
    but I kind of catched up lately by building a vintage PC collection just for DOS games

So my favourites are:

* Wing Commander, use to play it alot on my Amiga 500 when it was released on that machine, and now I can play it with VGA graphics and heard the sound thru a Roland CM32L

* Hero Quest, also a game I spent hours on my Amiga 500..and now it get's a 2nd chance with more colourful graphics + Roland MT32 sounds

* Wings Of Glory, a later DOS game...the only PC game imho which resembles Wings on the Amiga which is one of my favourites
    It needs quite alot of CPU power to run smootly...at least a 75-80mhz 486