Image Map Image Map

Thread: Transferring ZX81 .p files to tape

Default Transferring ZX81 .p files to tape

Hi. I recently built a ZX81 kit, and now I want to use some programs on it. I have many .p fiels, I am just working on transferring them to a tape(apparently they can just be played through a pc soundcard,too). I am trying to use this program:

http://www.pictureviewerpro.com/host...converters.htm

If there is a better one, please let me know. Apparently the program converts the .p files to a .raw file ok. Then I import the .raw file using Audacity. However,there are some options I must choose when I do this. I choose '8 bit unsigned PCM', 'no endians', and a sample rate of 22050 Hz. I'm not sure if these are the correct settings.

When I try to play this through my soundcard or through a tape, the ZX81 does not load anything, it just sits there with the loading pattern on the screen.

I was wondering if anyone could help point me in the right direction, I assume I'm doing a number of things wrong. Thanks.

I don't have any experience with the ZX-81, but make sure the sound volume is loud enough. I've lately fiddled with tape loading on other computers and found the volume should often be much higher than you'd usually expect, perhaps 3/4 of maximum.

The program you're trying to use is a bit old, last updated 1999? There is nothing wrong with old software (duh) as long as they work as you wish, but I found a more recent, graphical program that will convert both ZX-81, Spectrum, C64 (!) and Atari ST floppy disks (!!). In the case of ZX-81, it takes a .P file and generates a .WAV directly.

See winTZX by Patrick Delvenne on this page:
    http://www.worldofspectrum.org/utilities.html#tzxtools
    Anders Carlsson

Hi. That program is what I was looking for,thanks. However,I still can't load tapes for some reason. I tray to play the p files from my laptop. The screen goes to the flickering pattern like it is receiving the data, but then I get dumped back to a K prompt or have to break out of the loading routine. Does anyone else have any tips that might help me? Thanks.