Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: A major breakthrough in removing yellowing from old cases!!!

Default A major breakthrough in removing yellowing from old cases!!!

Hi

Over in the Amiga forums a major discovery has been made that is too good to keep to ourselves. A way of completely reversing the yellowing of old computer cases has been developed and proven, details are here:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=37808

This process only reverses the yellowing with no other effects on the plastic, if you really want to turn back the clock, this is the way to go, photos are in the thread.

Feedback is welcomed.

Merlin
    Last edited by Merlin; July 31st, 2008 at 11:58 AM.

For the affected layers of polymer, the case will become brittle.
    This does not have to be a problem if you don't overdo it.

Well, here in Canada, although there is a distributor of TAED not too far from here, hydrogen peroxide in concentrations greater that 8% seem to be pretty highly regulated.

However, if I can find some at, say, a beauty supply store, I might do some controlled experiments.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid6900 View Post
    Well, here in Canada, although there is a distributor of TAED not too far from here, hydrogen peroxide in concentrations greater that 8% seem to be pretty highly regulated.

However, if I can find some at, say, a beauty supply store, I might do some controlled experiments.
    Well, that is not too strange. It is a very reactive component.
    Don't try to take it on a plane.

Controlled experiments have already been done, both at Amiga.org and English Amiga Board, I am an industrial chemist by trade and carried out tests under controlled conditions to prove the process.

By the way, some hair bleaching products contain up to 20% peroxide; 8% will be fine although the process may take a little longer, we have found that severe yellowing may take up to 72 hours to reverse, UV light from a black bulb accelerates the process. I thought that this may be useful information. Neat TAED will reduce the foaming that the "Oxy" products generate due to the added detergents, although the "Oxy" products work perfectly well and TAED isn't soluble above 1.5 grams per litre anyway.
    Last edited by Merlin; July 31st, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Yes, I read the entire thread.

I thought that the TAED allowed the process to be more effecient at lower temperatures (less that 40C), but, I might have been too tired to pick the whole process out of the general mish-mash of the thread.

I'll see what the highest concentration I can reasonably get without a permit is and go with that.

Any advance on the idea of gelling it to be able to use it on larger surfaces? I plan on using that giant thermonuclear device so conveniently located a mere 8 light minutes from here and doing it in stages. I have a low-slope section of roof that is in full sunlight from dawn to dusk and would just "re-paint" it every morning for the required amount of time based on the H202 concentration.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

What's TAED?

m

Hawt! Maybe I can use this on my NES & SNES! (Florescent bulb pointed right at it )
    http://trs80hack.ytmnd.com/ YTMND: TRS-80 Hacking Secrets Revealed!!!

There are 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary, & those who don't.

http://mtac.profusehost.net/
    http://mtac.profusehost.net/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS View Post
    What's TAED?

m

TAED = Tetra Acetyl Ethylene Diamine, it even has it's own Wiki if you look around. It's the active ingredient in the "Oxy" laundry detergent boosters.

Hmmm, interesting! I have the worlds yellowest VIC-20 (bought as a motherboard donor for my pristine but dead one). Maybe something to try out...