Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Xenix 386

Default Looking for Xenix 386

Last week I got a Tandy 386 machine off of eBay and would like to install Xenix 386 on it. Unfortunately my searches for Xenix disk images are coming up with nothing. The only images I can find are for the Tandy Model II/16/6000 series. Does anyone know where I can find a set of diskettes? By now I would think that Xenix should be in the public domain.

Blog Entries

I don't think anything from M$ is PD...not even their original version of BASIC.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

Am I dreaming, or did Microsoft offer Windows 1.X for free download before? I know Apple has put out old MacOS versions for free. On the other hand, what are the chances Microsoft still have any sources or even knowledge of Xenix?
    Anders Carlsson

Blog Entries

I've been looking all over for things related to Xenix, and whoever has them aren't releasing them. I have an Altos running Xenix, and have also come up short. I can't remember anything by M$ that has ended up as public domain, either. I'll still keep my eyes out, Chuckster.
    The ancients knew *more* than us...
    http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!

Default Xenix 386 Diskettes

I came across Xenix 386 on 5¼" floppy diskette about a month and half back. I thought nobody would be interested in those, and I think I chucked 'em away.

Doh!

Paul.
    My vintage Computer Museum. Please visit.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    Last week I got a Tandy 386 machine off of eBay and would like to install Xenix 386 on it. Unfortunately my searches for Xenix disk images are coming up with nothing. The only images I can find are for the Tandy Model II/16/6000 series. Does anyone know where I can find a set of diskettes? By now I would think that Xenix should be in the public domain.
    Drop Sharkonwheels a PM.

I believe he said he had a Xenix set of disks for the Tandy 3000, he probably has a 386 version as well. Somewhere. In all that hardware.
    Legacy Computers and Parts

Sales of, parts for, and repairs to, Vintage and Legacy computers.

The version I have is for the 286 only (Tandy 3000NL I think).
    I recall that it would NOT install on ANYTHING higher.

I DO have a copy or 2 of SCO Xenix, if that is a 2nd choice.

T

Bingo! Looks like I stumbled across a big Unix find. In a web search I found an archive on the BitTorrent file sharing network named titor-special. It contains a large number of versions of Unix for various platforms including source code(although no source code for Xenix). At the end of the list was Xenix and it includes disk images for versions for 8088, 80286, and 80386. I generated the 1.44MB floppies for Xenix 386 v2.3.4 and tried to install. It initially started booting up but then began giving fd(64) errors. I used rawrite3 to make the floppy images, so I may try a different software utility and/or one of the other versions and see if I have any better luck.

Xenix 3.2 downloads...

http://www.catcorner.org/Tandy/

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster_in_Jax View Post
    Bingo! Looks like I stumbled across a big Unix find. In a web search I found an archive on the BitTorrent file sharing network named titor-special. It contains a large number of versions of Unix for various platforms including source code(although no source code for Xenix). At the end of the list was Xenix and it includes disk images for versions for 8088, 80286, and 80386. I generated the 1.44MB floppies for Xenix 386 v2.3.4 and tried to install. It initially started booting up but then began giving fd(64) errors. I used rawrite3 to make the floppy images, so I may try a different software utility and/or one of the other versions and see if I have any better luck.
    Are you sure you don't have to use 5.25" floppies? Not really that familiar with rawrite, but every Xenix machine I have encountered (mine plus ones I have talked to people about through email) have all used 5.25" disks.

I love the titor-special, reminds me of the story of John Titor

Nathan
    The ancients knew *more* than us...
    http://www.legendarytimes.com/forum/index.php They're baaaack!

Come and see http://www.gamegavel.com for all your gaming needs! We have Zero-ohm resistors!