Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seagate ST-225 used for 20 years+

Default Seagate ST-225 used for 20 years+

Hi

Today when I was throwing away an old CRT monitor at work, I found a Seagate ST-225 disk in the dumpster with a label "Taken out of service 04/01/2004"

I wonder who used the disk for such a long time.. Will take it home today and connect it to an MFM controller to see if it still works.. It still spins up allright.

I also found a ST-157A IDE Stepper HDD. This one also spins up, but no sound from the stepper motor.. Will try that one today as well

Still, a cool find and I'm happy to have the hdd's in my collection even if they don't work

What hard drive they use on the medical equipments MRI machine? Can you believe that they still are using the Maxtor 7345SR SCSI, 330MB and that hard drive is worth $500 plus? Some Arco gas stations are still using the Seagate ST4038, Some old evelators still use the Quantum LPS or ELS42S (42MB SCSI), LPS170S. CNC machines still use Kalok KL320 (20MB MFM hard drive). YES, ST225, ST251, ST125, ST138 are still running outthere. Seagate ST1100 (100MB) are hard to find and are worth a thousand dollars. Of course, if you are not in the hard drive business, it is hard to believe. And if you don't know where to sell, they are worth nothing. ST225 is easy to fix, if it is spin but NO READY sound, you might have bad controller board (missing components or corrosion)

Quote Originally Posted by aaaall View Post
    What hard drive they use on the medical equipments MRI machine? Can you believe that they still are using the Maxtor 7345SR SCSI, 330MB and that hard drive is worth $500 plus? Some Arco gas stations are still using the Seagate ST4038, Some old evelators still use the Quantum LPS or ELS42S (42MB SCSI), LPS170S. CNC machines still use Kalok KL320 (20MB MFM hard drive). YES, ST225, ST251, ST125, ST138 are still running outthere. Seagate ST1100 (100MB) are hard to find and are worth a thousand dollars. Of course, if you are not in the hard drive business, it is hard to believe. And if you don't know where to sell, they are worth nothing. ST225 is easy to fix, if it is spin but NO READY sound, you might have bad controller board (missing components or corrosion)

The ST-225 works fine (it has a bad sector or two) but else it's just fine.

The IDE one is not working, The heads had apparently previously stuck to the platter and damaged them beyond repair, but still a cool item to have in the collection

I removed the top cover to inspect a mysterious sound, and there was two groves in the platter smacking into the heads when it was spinning.. A downer really, but on the other hand why throw away a working IDE stepper HDD ?

What kind of sicko uses a hard drive for 20 years!

Oh, wait a minute ...

I feel a bit gutted having thrown out a "dead" ST225 a few years back, the one I have now was saved because it still worked (barely and with loads of bad sectors). A full Scandisk took several hours when I last had my PC1640 running around 6 years ago.

The remaining drive was all but dead (would just about read the directory) when I tried it again recently, but having dug the machine out of the store yesterday and low-level formatted it, the ST225 is as good as new. Not one bad sector!! Really wish I saved the other one, but you live and learn don't you

These machines were bagged by myself from my old workplace, where they had been running from the EFACS database for many years. I decided to keep 1 machine and some of the bits from the other when its HD failed.

BG

Blog Entries

There are still ST506s in use. One of my boxes uses a 14" Shugart SA4008 drive. Another uses a 7MB 5.25" Rodime. I still have 330 MB Miniscribe ESDI and 120MB Priam MFM drives in use. My XT uses a Quantum Q540 35MB. All have been working very well. A lot of the old drives were pretty noisy. Those Priam/Atasi MFM drives would wake the dead when they recalibrate.

Some of the early 3.5" IDE drives didn't fare as well. I've got a bunch of 200-300MB Conners that progressively developed media errors until they were unusable.

In short, the old drives still hold up pretty darn well. It's the newer ones that aren't so hot.

Default Economy minded pdp-11/microvax users still use MFM

I fired up the pdp-11/73 last night to install an ST-251 in addition to the ST-225 that's already in there. Unlike the PC world that kept up with progress, the pdp-11 and microvax are trapped in time. With the exception of having a really expensive ($125+) SCSI controller, the only viable option for economy minded late-model enthusiasts are MFM drives. Fortunately, the ST225 is rock solid, there are plenty around, and when operated only a few hours a week should last for a long time to come.

Lou

Default Salvage data off a ST-225?

Funny. A ST-255 was one of my 'finds' on my last junket

It could have anything on it from before, and it's destined to go into a PDP-11 I want to build.

I'm thinking that I'll need to format it, and I'd like to try to get the data off first. Other than the obvious hardware connection (finding a MFM controller), can I just fire up Linux and dd the info off of it? After all, it's just 20 megs...

-C

If it's still readable, I don't see why not. Then do a low-level format using Disk Manager (if you want a copy let me know) - I wish ST225s were as readily available here as they are in the US! Postage costs a fortune!

BG

I've got one of these so if you have a buyer we can work out a percentage deal.

Quote Originally Posted by aaaall View Post
    What hard drive they use on the medical equipments MRI machine? Can you believe that they still are using the Maxtor 7345SR SCSI, 330MB and that hard drive is worth $500 plus?