Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: motherboard connector mystery

Default motherboard connector mystery

have finally been able to put the motherboard on the pic below the the test after replacing the dead dallas circuit with a replacement and socketing it.
    hve encountered a problem, have no clue on how to connect my case cabling/connectors except the reset switch which is the bottom two pin connector in the row of case connector on the motherboard....this mobo is one of those lovely motherboards they wanted to be unknown
    is there a way to check these pins with a multimeter to determine what they are?

Quote Originally Posted by Amigaz View Post
    have finally been able to put the motherboard on the pic below the the test after replacing the dead dallas circuit with a replacement and socketing it.
    hve encountered a problem, have no clue on how to connect my case cabling/connectors except the reset switch which is the bottom two pin connector in the row of case connector on the motherboard....this mobo is one of those lovely motherboards they wanted to be unknown
    is there a way to check these pins with a multimeter to determine what they are?
    I think just above the memory slots would be a good place to start. May you take a detailed picture about that area, including the "soldered" side?

Blog Entries

Have you tried the hardware section at AOH?

Link

They have a rather large visual library of old hardware with jumper settings and component locations.
    = Excellent space heater

What else would there be - a keylock switch, power-on LED, and speaker perhaps? This board looks too early to have those combined into one pin header like the later ones, they are likely mostly separate.

Certainly with just a power supply, video card, and keyboard you should be able to boot to the BIOS without anything connected and test for the LED and speaker.

It looks like they are located at the right, around W17. If I recall, the speaker is a 4-pin, and two functions were combined into a 3-pin perhaps keylock and power LED.

edit: oh, and of course the turbo switch...
    Last edited by paul; October 27th, 2008 at 04:13 PM.
    IBM 5170/5053, 2 x 5150/5051
    Sun IPC, Ultra1 and SPARCclassic with tape, disk and CD
    HP Apollo 9000/735
    Silicon Graphics Indy, O2
    Radio Shack TRS-80 model 100
    Apple Mac Plus, DEC 5000/25

Blog Entries

A lot of boards with that kind of memory board slot were made by Micropolis. If you go looking for it on TH99, you might want to look there first before searching thru all the 'unknown/other diagrams.

--T
    Teach your children how to think, not what, and hold 'em close, not tight.

Please visit the Vintage-Computer Wiki. Contributers welcome.

The serial ports should be pretty easy. Back in my old clone days when I ran a repair shop the 9 pin ones had 2 different pinouts on the motherboards and expansion cards.

1 2 3 4 5
    6 7 8 9

or

1 3 5 7 9
    2 4 6 8

Yep, 4 pins for the speaker. Obviously around the W17 pins.

Quote Originally Posted by per View Post
    I think just above the memory slots would be a good place to start. May you take a detailed picture about that area, including the "soldered" side?
    Will do and post it asap

Quote Originally Posted by NeXT View Post
    Have you tried the hardware section at AOH?

Link

They have a rather large visual library of old hardware with jumper settings and component locations.
    Yes, have checked all these old hardware info sites without finding my particular motherboard

Quote Originally Posted by paul View Post
    What else would there be - a keylock switch, power-on LED, and speaker perhaps? This board looks too early to have those combined into one pin header like the later ones, they are likely mostly separate.

Certainly with just a power supply, video card, and keyboard you should be able to boot to the BIOS without anything connected and test for the LED and speaker.

It looks like they are located at the right, around W17. If I recall, the speaker is a 4-pin, and two functions were combined into a 3-pin perhaps keylock and power LED.

edit: oh, and of course the turbo switch...
    Yes..I know they probably are what you tell..the 5 pin is definately the keylock/pwr led header...what I'm unsure of is which of the 4pin headers that are the speaker header
    I guess in the "dark hardware ages" the turbo switch connector had 4 wires and there was a seperate black wite which switched the led display?

The headers on my mobo look like this:

.... = speaker?
    ..... = keylock/pwr (pretty sure about this one)
    .... = turboswitch??
    .. = reset switch (confirmed)

RAM SLOTS
    いいいいいいいいいいい
    いいいいいいいいいいい
    いいいいいいいいいいい
    いいいいいいいいいいい