Image Map Image Map
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: IBM PC AT 5170 BIOS versions

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Portsmouth RI
    Posts
    321

    Default

    What's the difference between a type 20 and type 22. I got a st-4038 that someone wrote type 22 but all the docs say type 20?

    Thanks,

    framer

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by framer View Post
    What's the difference between a type 20 and type 22. I got a st-4038 that someone wrote type 22 but all the docs say type 20?
    ANSWER RE IBM 5170 BIOS: See [here].

    ANSWER RE OTHER BIOS': Varies from BIOS to BIOS. Levels of IBM compatibility vary. Some clones may have been using 20 and 22 before IBM did.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Is it absolutely pertinent that 150ns or faster EPROMS be used? Would I be causing problems if I used 200ns (which is pretty much all I've got)?

    Also, someone asked the question without posting a link - is it a problem using the most recent BIOS in a type 1 6mhz planar?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
    Is it absolutely pertinent that 150ns or faster EPROMS be used? Would I be causing problems if I used 200ns (which is pretty much all I've got)?
    IBM are the ones who indicated 150 ns (quote: "ROM is not parity-checked. Its access time is 150 nanoseconds ...").
    You could try 200 ns, and if lock-ups are experienced from time to time, then either your EPROMs are bad, or 200 ns is not fast enough.

    Quote Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
    Also, someone asked the question without posting a link - is it a problem using the most recent BIOS in a type 1 6mhz planar?
    An answer is [here].

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    98

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    IBM are the ones who indicated 150 ns (quote: "ROM is not parity-checked. Its access time is 150 nanoseconds ...").
    You could try 200 ns, and if lock-ups are experienced from time to time, then either your EPROMs are bad, or 200 ns is not fast enough.


    An answer is [here].
    Thanks. I found one chip that's 150ns. Hopefully I'll find a second to complete the pair.

    As for the 601 error upon boot, I'm presuming press F1 and the system operates normally? I believe it presently has an AMI or Award BIOS in there now, but I want to revert back to the IBM BIOS so I can install OS/2 1.x.

    It's a shame it's not able to modify the newer BIOS images to not give the 601 error; I'm going to assume part of that is due to the new Type 20 HDD added to the drive table?

  6. #16
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    5,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
    As for the 601 error upon boot, I'm presuming press F1 and the system operates normally?
    I do not remember.

    Quote Originally Posted by pkhoury View Post
    It's a shame it's not able to modify the newer BIOS images to not give the 601 error; I'm going to assume part of that is due to the new Type 20 HDD added to the drive table?
    I think the behaviour is either:

    1. Done on purpose; or
    2. A bug introduced when the BIOS authors modified the floppy portion to cater for 720K drives and diskettes; or
    3. A bug introduced when the BIOS authors modified the floppy portion to improve the BIOS.

    With enough effort (investigation + fix), either can be removed. If the behaviour was done on purpose, it may not be wise to remove it. Again, it all 'boils down to' the results of an investigation.

  7. #17

    Default

    Hey Everyone,

    Sorry if this is mildly off-topic, but I have a few 5170's I'm working on and I hit a really weird issue. I am trying to use a 128mb DOM IDE module on a 16-bit IDE card with the AMI Bios in a 5170. I was able to make the chips, and it's coming up fine. The module I'm using has a geometry of 492 Cylinders, 16 heads and 32 sectors which is well below the 504mb limit. The machine comes up with this setting, sees the HD, lets me FDISK and format and then, nothing! After playing around some more, I booted from a floppy and go right to the C drive no issue. It will let me create a directory, and copy files from the floppy. I then just tried to run command.com from the root, and then I get a read error. I then noticed, I cannot seem to read anything from the drive no matter what I do! I thought perhaps it was just responding too quickly, and the only other drive I have sitting around is an older 200gb IDE. I set it to 1024-16-63 which is the 504 limit, and I get the exact same behavior. Maybe this drive is too fast too?

    Whatever the case, I'm really perplexed on what else to try short of getting an older HD. I was hoping this setup would work.

    Has anyone seen this, or any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    -Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Williams; January 25th, 2017 at 07:57 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •