Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Thread: Vga 8-bit

  1. #1

    Wink Vga 8-bit

    I recently bought a new VGA card for my IBM 5150.

    I've bought alot of 8-bit cards over the years, and this one seems to be the top of the heap.

    Video Seven VEGA VGA 8-Bit ISA Video Card -- 512KB DRAM





    Anyone know of a better VGA card that is 8-bit...


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,635
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Got one of those (as well as the docs). They're kind of cool in that they'll also drive EGA, MDA and CGA monitors (but not at the same time as VGA).

    I like the Paradise cards better, though. 8 bit VGA access isn't going to be a barnburner in any case.

  3. #3

    Cool Paradise lost......

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Got one of those (as well as the docs). They're kind of cool in that they'll also drive EGA, MDA and CGA monitors (but not at the same time as VGA).

    I like the Paradise cards better, though. 8 bit VGA access isn't going to be a barnburner in any case.
    What do you like better about the Paradise card?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,635
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrydoire View Post
    What do you like better about the Paradise card?
    Drivers seem to be easier to find, mostly. But if you're running it in an 8088 box, that's neither here nor there. I think both cards are more-or-less equivalent functionally.

    Are there any 8 bit VGA cards with more than 1MB of video RAM?

  5. #5

    Lightbulb

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Drivers seem to be easier to find, mostly. But if you're running it in an 8088 box, that's neither here nor there. I think both cards are more-or-less equivalent functionally.

    Are there any 8 bit VGA cards with more than 1MB of video RAM?
    Mine has 512, what does your card have for memory?


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Posts
    27,635
    Blog Entries
    20

    Default

    I'd have to go look, but I've got both your card and the Paradise. ISTR both go to 800x600x16.

    Maybe higher resolutions are academic when it comes to 8-bit access?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    420

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gerrydoire View Post
    I recently bought a new VGA card for my IBM 5150.

    I've bought alot of 8-bit cards over the years, and this one seems to be the top of the heap.

    Video Seven VEGA VGA 8-Bit ISA Video Card -- 512KB DRAM





    Anyone know of a better VGA card that is 8-bit...

    Is this the one that went recently on Ebay?

  8. #8

    Default

    Why, that is a perfect 8 bit card- because as said it also does EGA, MDA and CGA.
    The other thing you could do is use a 16 bit VGA card- many of them work in 8 bit slots.

    The only one I like better is the one I have:



    But personally I wouldn't put VGA in a 5150, as it never came with that.

  9. #9

    Red face

    Quote Originally Posted by Amigaz View Post
    Is this the one that went recently on Ebay?
    My first sound card was an Adlib, shitty compared to what you see nowadays, but back then it was neat. I still have the first version of the Soundblaster 8bit and 16 bit cards.

    My first game to play on the Adlib was one of the Space Quest Games..


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    NC , USA
    Posts
    1,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
    The only one I like better is the one I have:



    Hey, I have one of those too , but the PCB looks slightly different (brown)
    and the memory chips are red. This is the only 8-bit VGA adapter IBM
    made, I think it was for the Model 30. I've used this in my 5150 and it works
    fine.

    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •