Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with an IBM 55 SX? 8555

Default What to do with an IBM 55 SX? 8555

Hey. Guess I am asking what would you do with one?
    Any parts in it worth scrounging, trash the rest?
    No monitor, gonna salvage the keyboard.
    But not familiar with this, thanks for anything you can add.

Blog Entries

Well it is a good starter system if you still like working with MicroChannel however an FPU upgrade might be nice and (mine at least) came with a rather large ESDI drive. I'm currently trying install AIX 1.3 on it.
    = Excellent space heater

If It works, I would suggest selling it.. It would make you some cash and let it go to home where it is wanted!

Selling would be an option, what is an asking price for it, cheap to move it quickly?
    Thx for the info.

Ok, got it fired. PS2 55 SX 8555-031

1920 KB OK

163 = (ok)/ > IBM.
    Think that means error# and get the manual.

then
    IBM PC Basic
    VC1.10 IBM 1981
    62940 bytes free

Then I have a menu at the screen bottom.
    An OS of sorts I assume, this thing must go then
    I am not learning anything new right now!

Blog Entries

Well for starters it has a meg of ram. (CORRECTION, TWO MEGS OF RAM)
    The second thing is that the battery in the Dallas chip has died (161) and because of that the internal clock needs to be reset (163).
    You are then being dumped into BASIC (I didn't know it could even do that) as it can't boot from both the floppy drive or the internal hard drive (ESDI, and if you need one I have a stack).
    Last edited by NeXT; December 1st, 2008 at 09:09 PM.
    = Excellent space heater

Blog Entries

Don't you get a 165 ERROR for dead battery and then 161/163 after you fix that? I would make up a reference disk and see if the system will reconfigure itself. Could be it had a card added or removed without running the reference disk to set it up.

161 System Options Error - (Run SETUP) Battery failure
    162 System options not set correctly-(Run SETUP)
    163 Time and date not set - (Run SETUP)
    164 Memory size error - (Run SETUP)
    165 System options not set - (Run SETUP)

I think the 55SX came with 2MB (2 72 pin slots onboard), which is what he is showing with 1920K OK. There might be more RAM on a RAM card but that does not show up until you have configured all the MCA cards.

All PS/2s as far as I know dump you to BASIC when there are no bootable drives to start from, I think the 165 ERROR just locks the system up completely (can't even configure the built in stuff let alone any MCA cards). 165 is the common error for a dead battery, the other 2 are common for a system that needs setup after battery replacement. Won't hurt to try a configuration setup anyway.

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lau...ps2/8555sx.htm <== reference disk
    What I collect: 68K/Early PPC Mac, DOS/Win 3.1 era machines, Amiga/ST, C64/128
    Nubus/ISA/VLB/MCA/EISA cards of all types
    Boxed apps and games for the above systems
    Analog video capture cards/software and complete systems

Replace the battery and use the reference diskette to restore the settings. That should fix all of the above!

Is the battery a radio shack item?
    What should I a$k to sell/trade this comp?

I pressed F2 and it started basic, stayed on the error screen till I did.

Now I think this pans out as....new battery/set clock fixes 161 & 163, new error will be 165 or 162 and fix that with the ref disk.

I may actually get to use my 3.5 drive, surely caked full of dust by now

Default Run configuration first

You may not need to replace the battery. The battery may have enough power in it to save the configuration information, but not the date and time. The original 6 V battery in the second Model 50Z I acquired only has about 3 V left, but it's enough to save the configuation information, but it's not enough to keep the clock going. I don't get any errors on startup, but if I start an operating system like DOS it will ask me for the date and time. Having the correct date and time is not a big deal (I don't even think these PS/2s are year 2000 compliant).

Run automatic configuation from the reference diskette first. If you keep getting date and time error codes at startup, then replace the battery. The battery may cost you $10.