Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Apple IIgs Hard Drive partitioning

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    425

    Default Apple IIgs Hard Drive partitioning

    I have a IIgs with a Apple High Speed SCSI card in it and I'm confused about partitioning. I read a few posts that seem to indicate I could make more then four 32mb partitions. Unfortunately the SCSI utility disk only lets me make four.

    How do you make more then four and whats the limit ? Smallest scsi drive I had was a 424mb drive and people want crazy money on eBay for any scsi drives under 1gb.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaknoil View Post
    I have a IIgs with a Apple High Speed SCSI card in it and I'm confused about partitioning. I read a few posts that seem to indicate I could make more then four 32mb partitions. Unfortunately the SCSI utility disk only lets me make four.

    How do you make more then four and whats the limit ? Smallest scsi drive I had was a 424mb drive and people want crazy money on eBay for any scsi drives under 1gb.
    One possibility would be to format part of the drive as Mac HFS, which the GS can read with the HFS.FST installed (also make sure you have patched the version of the HFS.FST that comes with System 6.0.1). Then you wouldn't have to worry about the number of partitions you use.

    Dean

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    425

    Default

    I'd have to do that on another mac and then move it over right ? Would IIgs apps run off the HFS partition or is it just useful for data storage ?

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leaknoil View Post
    I'd have to do that on another mac and then move it over right ? Would IIgs apps run off the HFS partition or is it just useful for data storage ?
    You can do that with the drive in the IIgs. The HFS FST takes care of it. You can run IIgs apps (ProDOS 16) from an HFS partition; but you can't run plain Prodos 8 apps from it. P8 can't see the HFS volume.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    425

    Default

    Whats the HFS FST ?

  6. #6

    Default

    FST stands for File System Translator. It's included in version 6.0.1 of GS/OS. An FST effectively let's the IIgs use other file systems (under later versions of GS/OS) like HFS (the Macintosh File system), MSDOS, etc. They're files in the system folder in GS/OS. These can come in very handy. When you install GS/OS 6.0.1 on the IIgs, there should be an option to install FST's.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    425

    Default

    I'm pretty sure I installed that. Can you repartition a disk with destroying existing partitions ?

    What's the process for doing it on a gs anyway ? If I try to use the partitioning tools after booting off the hard drive then it wont run because of open files. I cant fit the HFS and SCSI stuff on a 800k boot floppy. Says there isnt enough space.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Central California
    Posts
    425

    Default

    OK I cant figure it out. I can have up to 4 prodos partitions under the IIgs scsi tools and nothing else. There are advanced partitioning tools in 6.0.1 but, they can't work on a disk you've booted off of. You can't fit the os and the scsi and hfs stuff on a single 3.5" so, you can't boot off a floppy and partition the drive with that tool. I tried partitioning under os9 and it will only give me 2 prodos partitions and then hfs ones. OSX tools doesn't offer me any prodos partitions.

    If I had multiple scsi drives it seems easy enough to partition an added drive then install the os on it but, I don't have the cabling for that or the drives.

    What I would like with a 400mb drive is 4 prodos partition and then the rest as a single HFS partition. How can I do it ?

  9. #9

    Default Several questions

    I used Apple IIs in the early 1980s, but for the last 25 yrs haven't. I recently purchased several Apple IIGS systems. One came with an Apple high speed SCSI card and Chinook hard drive. I have half a dozen 3.5" and 5.25" drives also. Problems are:

    1. I can not get any of the systems to recognize the Chinook hard drive. It is in slot 7 (also tried slots 1 & 2 to no avail). Seems that I have to load the drivers but I get a message that tells me it requies GSOS 2.1, and apparently I do not have that version of the OS.

    2. 3.5" drive is first in the chain, 5.25" drive is second in chain. System is set to boot from Slot 5. Boots from floppy in 3.5" fine, but 5.25" drive is not showing up on the desktop, with or without a disk in it. I've also tried setting the system to Scan for boot device, but 5.25" drive will not appear. Tried different drives, same issue.

    3. Where can I get GSOS on 3.5" disk? Yes, I know about the availability of the disk images on Apple's website, but they require you to have a Mac which I don't. I've looked at the user groups I could find online, and no one seems to be offering GSOS copies on disk. Very frustrating!

    4. Does anyone have working experience with the Reactive Microdrive IIgs IDE Controller which uses a 128MB CompactFlash card as a drive?

    Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

    Ken

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Drken View Post
    I used Apple IIs in the early 1980s, but for the last 25 yrs haven't. I recently purchased several Apple IIGS systems. One came with an Apple high speed SCSI card and Chinook hard drive. I have half a dozen 3.5" and 5.25" drives also. Problems are:

    1. I can not get any of the systems to recognize the Chinook hard drive. It is in slot 7 (also tried slots 1 & 2 to no avail). Seems that I have to load the drivers but I get a message that tells me it requies GSOS 2.1, and apparently I do not have that version of the OS.

    2. 3.5" drive is first in the chain, 5.25" drive is second in chain. System is set to boot from Slot 5. Boots from floppy in 3.5" fine, but 5.25" drive is not showing up on the desktop, with or without a disk in it. I've also tried setting the system to Scan for boot device, but 5.25" drive will not appear. Tried different drives, same issue.

    3. Where can I get GSOS on 3.5" disk? Yes, I know about the availability of the disk images on Apple's website, but they require you to have a Mac which I don't. I've looked at the user groups I could find online, and no one seems to be offering GSOS copies on disk. Very frustrating!

    4. Does anyone have working experience with the Reactive Microdrive IIgs IDE Controller which uses a 128MB CompactFlash card as a drive?

    Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

    Ken
    Not sure about your trouble with the 5.25 drive but here's a place you can purchase a copy 0f System 6.0.1 for the GS on 3.5 disk:

    http://store.syndicomm.com/index.php...=index&cPath=3

    $15 will get you all 6 disks for System 6.0.1.

    Hopefully someone else will be able to help with your other questions.

    Dean

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •