Image Map Image Map
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is anyone else p!ssed off by this?

Default Is anyone else p!ssed off by this?

Having to "double-click" something to open it. What is the point. It's a SHORTCUT, what else are you supposed to do with it? There is no FILE menu on a desktop, so clicking something only to highlight it and let it sit there doing nothing serves no purpose whatsoever. As I said, there's NO "file" menu so there is sod all else you can do unless you click it again, and then it wants you to rename it?

If you want to do something OTHER than open the program or file, using a "shortcut", which I had assumed is the whole purpose of such, that is surely what the right mouse button is for ?? A shortcut is supposed to be a direct way to OPEN something?

It works when you click something on the Start menu, or the Quick Launch menu. But not on exactly the same shortcut on the Desktop itself or within directories, unless you go into settings and change the defaults.

Am I the only person irritated by this?

BG

BG101: Am I the only person irritated by this?
    Possibly.
    Just kidding! What desktop enviroment are we talking about? I use KDE which lets you configure any of those things to your taste just by clicking on menu items. I think it is pretty much the state of the art in desktop features right now, unless you want eye candy like Compiz or Beryl, with the spinning cubes and stuff. If you like minimal and ultra fast try Blackbox. It is also configurable but you gotta know a bit more to do it. I really like it on old machines. It's a good "vintage" choice. Perhaps you're using MSWindows, but with such a large user base, I would expect a huge amount of available desktop environments and window managers to chose from. Surely, you can't be stuck with "out of the box" choices.

I've tried people's machines with MSwindows on them and I always get caught in the two click trap. Why do they set them up that way? I click on something and then wait and wait, until somebody tells me that I gotta click some more. Why two? Why not three, or four, or five... Beats me? lol

I'm on about the default settings, with ANY version of M$ Windoze. Even Blister. Despite the fact there is no "menu" to actually do something with the shortcut icon you've just highlighted by clicking on it. It's also been adopted by some other operating systems. Why retain an archaic "double click" when there is nothing else you can do with a link when you click on it once? It's no different to a link on a Web page or in the Start menu FFS.

BG

Drag? Multple select? There are several things you can do with a shortcut other than opening it. My favorite is just deleting it.

Single click is a menace for inexperienced users.

Quote Originally Posted by kb2syd View Post
    Single click is a menace for inexperienced users.
    Yeah, but then you got the newbs that think EVERYTHING deserves a double click. Link on the internet--double click...Opens twice and they are like "WTF?" Same for the start menu, normal website links, etc. All deserve a double click, then they get mad because everything comes up twice.

Reminds me of this girl....She'd NEVER type the address of a website in the address bar. If it was google.com she'd type google, then it'd bring up that word in a search engine. Youtube.com? Type Youtube, then find the link to the main page on a search engine. I tried to explain the concept of ".com" and that it takes less energy to just stop being a lazy bum and type it, but she never caught on. It's like teaching a cockroach to dance to "la cucuracha"

--Jack
    Come to the dark side...we have cookies.
    Wanted: Somebody to buy alot of my stuff
    AT&T PC 6300 site

Personally I hate single click, but that's just me. A lot of times I'd like to select a file, then do properties on it or open it up in an editor to see what it is, it bugs me when it runs instead, or maybe just a misclick and I have to wait for it to load the application now.

Anyway I think it's just an "are you sure" setting giving you a second chance if you're dumb like me and accidentally click the wrong thing once and a while.

That being said, you know you can change Windows to single click right? I think it was part of the first Plus pack so I'm not sure where exactly it is in older version of windows but in current (2000/XP/...vista?) it's under control panel->Folder Options->Click items as follows and you can change it to single click to run shortcuts, open folders, etc.

Under the View tab you can also get a lot of good features back like not hiding the extension of known files, showing the files in system folders/hidden files/folders, etc. I always end up here on new installs to get the system showing users a little more of what they should see, otherwise you end up with the people that change the icon of an executable to the notepad icon and email it to someone who has the extension showing disabled and they think it's a text file then end up running a worm or virus.

Quote Originally Posted by BG101 View Post
    Having to "double-click" something to open it. What is the point. It's a SHORTCUT, what else are you supposed to do with it? There is no FILE menu on a desktop, so clicking something only to highlight it and let it sit there doing nothing serves no purpose whatsoever. As I said, there's NO "file" menu so there is sod all else you can do unless you click it again, and then it wants you to rename it?

If you want to do something OTHER than open the program or file, using a "shortcut", which I had assumed is the whole purpose of such, that is surely what the right mouse button is for ?? A shortcut is supposed to be a direct way to OPEN something?

It works when you click something on the Start menu, or the Quick Launch menu. But not on exactly the same shortcut on the Desktop itself or within directories, unless you go into settings and change the defaults.

Am I the only person irritated by this?

BG
    Probably....
    GEEKS WITH A GRUDGE!

Quote Originally Posted by barythrin View Post
    Personally I hate single click, but that's just me.
    Not just you. Double-click doesn't worry me . Double-click to execute and single click to drag and/or copy. Besides, as was pointed out, you can alter many of those settings if you don't like them.

Tez
    ------------------------------------------------
    My vintage collection: https://classic-computers.org.nz/collection/
    My vintage activities blog: https://www.classic-computers.org.nz/blog/
    Twitter: @classiccomputNZ ; YouTube Videos: (click here)

I point my mouse at something to select it, or drag a box over it if it's more than one (or hold CTRL or SHIFT, as appropriate). But in the vast majority of cases, if it's an icon on the desktop, the thing I usually want to do is to OPEN it. I use the other mouse button to do other tasks with it such as move, delete, rename.

It just irritates me that when I'm using a computer other than my own, I click on something and f*** all happens. As I said, it's highlighted but there's no FILE menu to instigate an action on it, you HAVE to press the mouse button again anyway. It just seems pointless and serves no purpose other than to shorten the life of the left mouse button. Do you click a light switch twice to turn it on? No!! If you want to dim it, you turn the knob (equivalent of the right mouse button). IMHO if you click on a link the likelihood is because you want to open it!

This is a legacy from Windows 3.xx where there actually IS a File menu!

BG

I suppose its all what a person is used to - I like double click, chances are because I'm trained to it. We have a couple users that have everything set to single click, and it drives me batty when I work on their machines (I sometimes change it temporarily depending on what I am doing). Not because its bad, but just because I'm so trained to double click
    Go thee to the chickens and smite them, for they are fowl