Image Map Image Map
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hard disk bad track 0, date of manufacture codes

Quote Originally Posted by patscc View Post
    ...on Allen's problem termination is not an issue ?
    Termination isnīt even an adjustable factor on DBA ESDI drives (ĻESDIĻ is a misnomer too). These 30Mb drives are very problematic nowadays (at over 20 years old, is it any wonder?). Much better to find the larger drive capacities (they came in 30, 40, 60, 80, 120, and 160Mb sizes) when you canīt switch to another controller type (read: SCSI) because of limited adapter slots.

Blog Entries

Calling them ESDI is indeed a red herring. See the last topic on this page.

So they're IBM-specific MFM/RLL drives. Look like a disaster.

Default Ibm

Chuck(G) said...IBM-specific MFM/RLL
    Sounds like the marketing department trying to add some glamour to the word 'cheap'
    patscc

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    Calling them ESDI is indeed a red herring. See the last topic on this page...
    Or change the tag like I did when I quoted you. The other sections of the page deal with the more standardized ESDI [EDIT: and MFM] adapter[s] found on the Model 60 and 80. There was supposed to be a way to query that controller (and I was going to try it on the DBA ESDI, to see if it would give a response) for its microcontroller version (because there was an ECA on the early ESDI controllers) much like "SCSILVL" (http://www.IBMMuseum.com/projects/SCSILEVL/).

Default It was worth a try

I suppose I will just have to try to liquidate this second IBM PS/2 Model 50Z without a working hard disk. I really wanted to try to fix any of the four 30 MB drives I have, since everything else in this PS/2 works fine.

It sounds like bad track 0 problems are difficult or impossible to fix (and not something I'm really trained to do). The discussion about whether these are really ESDI or MFM makes me disappointed in IBM. IBM didn't make these PS/2s easy to handle.

I do thank all of you for your insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    It sounds like bad track 0 problems are difficult or impossible to fix
    I guess it depends on the drive.
    In a 2006 thread, two forum members were able to get around a track 0 problem on their ST-412s.
    The thread is http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ead.php?t=3391 (from post #34 onwards).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by modem7 View Post
    I guess it depends on the drive.
    In a 2006 thread, two forum members were able to get around a track 0 problem on their ST-412s.
    The thread is http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcfo...ead.php?t=3391 (from post #34 onwards).
    The real problem is that the "track 0 bad" message doesn't contain a lot of information. All the message really tells you is that something is wrong very early on in the formatting process.

Some PS/2 BIOSes have LL format support built in under INT 13H, Function 1AH. It might be worth trying the INT 13H BIOS routine; e.g. AX=1A00, CL = 0, DL = 0080 and see what comes back in AH.

Default command status return

There's actually a call you can make to get extended ESDI error information, INT 13 serivce 1C08h
    See here, http://lrs.uni-passau.de/support/doc...57/RB-0617.HTM
    if you want to start throwing stuff at it from debug.

patscc

Exactly, even though these drives were a kludge, they did give very good error codes to tell where they thought the problem was (and even saved it in a log many times, that could go through many power-cycles). As far as I went to diagnose many was swapping controller cards and platter assemblies, but you wouldnīt believe how many defunct parts I had to weed out. Just accept that the 30Mb versions are pretty crappy 20 years later, and the 80Mb+ types do much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck(G) View Post
    ...Some PS/2 BIOSes have LL format support built in under INT 13H, Function 1AH. It might be worth trying the INT 13H BIOS routine; e.g. AX=1A00, CL = 0, DL = 0080 and see what comes back in AH.
    Or just do CTRL-A from the Reference Diskette...